Chapter 56

I see Inumaki's mouth part slightly, pushing himself to stop the Spirit—a small croak leaks from his throat, but nothing else. I reach for the gun in my pocket. Or I thought I did. Because now, I'm on the floor.

It's only when the pain spreads through my body that I realize I have pushed Inumaki out of the way. Fire seems to crawl under my skin as blood oozes out of the fresh wounds. It felt like a thousand needles had entered my face. There must be something on the knife; the wounds don't regenerate, and the pain lingers.

"Ngh..." I groan from the sharp feeling, flinching a bit. I notice the Spirit looking down at me with blank eyes.

[Stupid human]_Spirit

[Why did she have to save him?]_Spirit

"H- Haneki?!" Inumaki shouts in concern. He rushes over to me. I notice in relief that the knife has not harmed him.

"Takana??" His eyes flicker over to the bloody patch of skin that runs down the side of my face. I notice that his voice is still a little hoarse and dry. I spot him straining his neck just to say that one word.

F*ck, this isn't good.

I roughly wipe away some of the blood near the sliced skin, flinching a bit as I stand up. Looking over at the Spirit, I feel my gaze colden as our eyes meet. Immediately, I take out the gun in my pocket and fire two shots at him. One misses. The other hits him right under the eye.

"Aghh-!" He clenches his eye with a hand, glaring at me with venom in his eyes. A rock flies in my direction. I dodge it. The Spirit then stays still.

Not taking my eyes off the Spirit, I ask Inumaki, "How's your throat?"

"..okaka," He sighs with a shrug.

[I don't have any cough syrups either]-_Inumaki

"F*ck..." I take in a sharp breath, "Then be careful,"

Just then, a rally of random objects fly at us, some which I barely dodge. Sometimes, the Limitless activates, saving me from having to regenerate anything again.

When will he run out of things to throw at us? How are they floating, anyway? How can I stop it? I sigh in frustration as I dodge yet another axe.

I don't spot swirls of Cursed Energy in the weapons like I usually do. Like before, there is just a tangled mess of strings around the air. Maybe that's what we have to get rid of.

Flattening out my palms, I slice at the air, where I see a string of Cursed Energy connected to a sharp piece of glass. Expecting the piece to drop to the ground and shatter, I take a step back as soon as I swing.

But nothing happens.

"That's not it?" I mutter quietly to myself. I turn to the Spirit. I think we need to kill him first for everything to stop.

"Don't move," Inumaki commands the Spirit, noticing that I have turned towards it. He coughs heavily, taking a step back as I rush forward, gun in my hand. A small grin escapes my lips as blood pours from the two new holes I have made in the Spirit's head.

"Step back," I warn Inumaki before raising a hand. 

"Jutsushiki Hanten: Aka,"

The red light of Cursed Energy floats just a few inches from my palm, glowing brightly. I throw it at the Spirit.

However, the glow dies mid-air, failing to deal any damage.

(559 words)

:I

sry

it's short

a;djsfklhgkjafdh