Chapter 27

"Haneki! Your turn," Panda calls me over from the field. He's sparring with Maki while I'm sitting on the benches with Inumaki. Fushiguro is having a small training session with Gojo-sensei inside.

Every once in a while, we would get together and just fight to practice. For no particular reason, I never really participated in it, although Maki seems to have a great time as she wins most of the time.

"I'm fine," I say back, shaking my head. I have been trying to avoid Maki for the past week since my first encounter with her, which, trust me, has been quite traumatizing. I keep imagining her popping out of nowhere and kidnapping me or something. And being kidnapped = no dying. So yeah.

"Tuna, shake shake," Inumaki slightly pushes me forward, urging me to go practice with them.

[You can improve your fighting skills]_Inumaki

"C'mon," Maki says, waving a hand at me and motioning for me to come over. She has her weapon (Polearm-type. Red bottom and sharp edge. Cursed Energy runs through it) behind her back, held by her arms.

[Let's see how strong she actually is]_Maki

[I'm a little worried for Haneki]_Panda

[But Maki won't kill her, right?]_Panda

I find it really cool that I can read Panda's mind, but I guess it makes sense as he can speak the human language.

"Fine," I say as I reluctantly stand up and slowly walk toward Maki. Panda takes my spot on the bench and lightly pats Inumaki's head.

"First time, huh?" Maki asks, starting to circle around me. I nod, staying still. No need to show any signs of fear. It will only boost her confidence. Not like I'm scared of her but whatever.

"Shake shake!" Inumaki cheers both of us on.

"I never saw Haneki spar with us before," Panda tells Inumaki, "I sure hope she doesn't get beaten up too badly,"

[Haneki's strong]_Inumaki

[Left leg]_Maki

Hearing Maki's moves before she does them, I easily dodge her kick, and land one of my own.

[Right]_Maki

I move my body to the left beforehand, then jump. As expected, Maki first attempts a grab on my right arm. Seeing her miss, she immediately turns to her left and throws two furious punches. But I'm already up in the air, above her confused head. I land a little behind her and reach out my hands to her arms at the same time.

[When did she get there?]_Maki

I pull her arms down, expecting her to fall to the ground. However, she reads my attacks faster and twists her body in time to swat my hands away. I instantly hurl a rally of punches at her, careful not to hit her face or neck. Maki successfully block all my attacks. Except one.

"Agh!" She crumbles to the ground as I hit her on the kneecap, forcing her leg to give out on her. The other hits strike easily as she is momentarily defenseless. I target parts of her body that will hurt but won't harm her actual health.

[She's... strong]_Maki

I turn her around, having her stomach touch the ground. I pin Maki's arms behind her and set my knee on it, preventing further movement.

"Ngh..." Maki groans from pain and anger, which makes me let her go. Maybe I hurt her too much?

[Better not mess with Haneki]_Panda

I stand up and look around. Inumaki and Panda are rushing toward me and Maki.

"Tuna mayo, shake! Takana," Inumaki comments as Panda pulls Maki up to her feet.

[That was awesome! You're great]

I nod a small thanks as I look up at Maki. Her cheek is a little red from having it pushed to the ground, but other than that, she's injury-free. She stares at me quietly, as if she can't believe that she lost to me.

"How?" Maki suddenly asks, breaking the silence.

"Huh?" How am I supposed to understand what she's asking if she only says one word?

"How did you... never mind," Maki stops mid-sentence, shaking her head as if she can't stand asking me questions. I tilt my head.

"Haneki seemed like she was reading Maki's mind," Panda says excitedly.

He turns to me and continues, "You always attacked or dodged a few milliseconds before she even made her move. How do you do that? Can I learn that? How long did it take for you to use it so well?"

"Exactly what I was gonna ask," Maki says, nodding in Panda's direction.

'I never saw such a talkative panda' I think.

"You can't," I simply answer.

"Why?" Panda pushes me on, forcing more answers out of me.

"Unless you can read minds somehow," I say as I shrug.

(744 words)

So i decided to add the name tag at the end of the mind reading thing cuz honestly i was getting confused myself. heh