Chapter 55

"Don't move," Inumaki shouts as soon as he turns around. I turn to face the Spirit as well.

The Spirit's limbs are connected to its slim body with what looks like giant stitches. His skin is pale but looks dull at the same time. He has piercing white eyes that look blank and dead. He wears a dark, purple cape around his neck, which flows freely behind him.

I charge and land a punch on his torso while he's immobilized. The Spirit flinches as blood starts to drip out of his mouth. The Spirit stumbles backward slightly. However, he quickly regains his footing and straightens himself up. He wipes the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand, shooting us a twisted smile.

Suddenly, a knife flies towards me, aimed at my arms. I jump backward and out of the way. The knife swings back and forth as if it were connected to a string.

Or maybe it really is.

When the knife swings towards me again, a bit weaker this time, I cautiously swipe my arm above it. I don't feel anything though. From the short distraction, another weapon, this time, a spear, manages to pierce through my back. The new wound forms right below my left rib cage.

I flinch as blood seeps through my uniform, feeling the warm liquid drip on my back and stomach.

"Haneki- Takana?!" Inumaki shouts from his spot, dodging a few axes and hammers.

"I'm fine," I reply. Soon enough, the wound regenerates, leaving behind no trace of the injury. As soon as the pain on my side disappears, I charge at the Spirit, dodging the random objects flying at me.

"Don't move," Inumaki stops the Spirit from attacking me back or running away. Inumaki and I dash for the Spirit together, lashing out a series of punches and kicks. I grab a knife dangling in mid-air. With a swift move, I stab the Spirit's neck. Purple blood pours out of the wound like a waterfall.

But he doesn't die.

I spot his arms flinching, and I think that maybe I hurt him somewhere. But suddenly, another wave of weapons and objects fly towards Inumaki and I, forcing us to retreat away from the Spirit.

[We need to deal with these first]_Inumaki

[Why are they just floating, though?]_Inumaki

[It looks like it's connected to something..]_Inumaki

I notice the confused look on his face as he battles a rally of rocks. I see him pull down his scarf, ready to use his Cursed Speech.

"Don't-"

Suddenly, he bursts into a coughing fit. Blood sprays from his throat, forming small puddles on the ground below him. He bends forward, his hands on his knees. His face is pale.

I then remember what Gojo-Sensei told me before we started the mission. Something about his throat being in a bad condition. It must have worsened after using too much of his Cursed Speech on a strong enemy like this one.

I look over at Inumaki, who is still coughing, wincing with every breath. Blood slowly drips from the corner of his mouth.

"Inumaki, behind you!" I yell to him as a katana heads straight for his chest. Thankfully, he hears my warning and manages to stumble away from it. I barely get to sigh in relief when the sword swings back towards him.

Is it just me, or does it seem like it's moving faster?

Using his Cursed Speech really seemed to have a huge toll on Inumaki's body. His eyes are unfocused, and his skin is still pale. There is still a trail of blood going from his mouth to his chin. I turn towards him, my eyes a bit wide.

I think, no, I know, that Inumaki won't be able to move in time.

(608 words)