Chapter 43

Time Skip

"Keep him safe," Gojo-sensei whispers to me as Okkotsu stares at the building ahead of us.

"This is the place?" Okkotsu asks nervously. Gojo-sensei nods as he points to the abandoned church.

Most, if not all of the windows, are cracked-- letting cold wind rush in and out freely. None of the lights are on, laying a blanket of darkness over the quiet building. An abandoned truck with missing tires lays untouched and broken near the door, and I think I see a skeleton.

Okkotsu also looks around, his eyes trembling in fear with everything he spots. His hand instinctively reaches for his ring, turning it nervously around on his finger.

"Yup, and remember again, don't let Rika out," Gojo-sensei reminds Okkotsu again, smiling. He nods uncertainly, leaving the ring alone and reaching up to scratch the back of his neck.

[What if I have to...]_Okkotsu

"Don't," I answer, not looking at him. The giant Cursed Spirit still lingers around Okkotsu, both arms around his body in a protective manner. I stare at it for a while, wondering how he survived with her the whole time. Sensing my stare, the Spirit slowly cocks her head in my direction, casting me a glare. I stare back, blankly, for a few seconds before taking a step back and turning away.

"So... you ready?" Okkotsu asks me, and I nod. Meanwhile, Sensei has finished setting up a curtain. He gives both of us a friendly wave before stepping out of its boundaries, leaving Okkotsu and me alone.

Without hesitation, I start walking, ignoring the eerie atmosphere around me. Okkotsu hurriedly follows along, tightly clutching his katana.

[Cold...!]_Okkotsu

As we step inside the dark building, the cold wind immediately rushes past us, sending a chill down our spines. I tilt my head up towards the high ceiling, where a broken chandelier swings slowly, making a screechy creak sound.

"Aaaagh!" Okkotsu suddenly shouts from behind, taking a step closer to me. I flinch as Rika yells internally at how close I am to him.

"What?" I ask, looking around. He points at a dark corridor. I don't see or hear anything. 

[I- I heard something]_Okkotsu

I activate my power, as just my eyes don't seem to see what he sees. Cursed Energy immediately appears around me, swirling around with the current. In the distance, a spot a faint, pink outline of a long and slim silhouette. The Spirit, perhaps?

With small and quiet steps, the figure approaches us, but I still don't see it without my power activated.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The footsteps are now audible. The color drains from Okkotsu's face as he, too, hears the sounds.

[Where is it...?]_Okkotsu

[#$(*#&%*!&]

Foreign shouts crash into my head, leaving my mind numb.

I look at Okkotsu and say, "It's invisible or something," Hearing this, he grips his katana harder, fear noticeable in his trembling grip. Then, as my focus shifts from activating my power to talking to Okkotsu, the streams of Cursed Energy flicker on and off until I can't see them anymore. I groan and concentrate on maintaining it activated. When I, again, start noticing the currents of Energy, I search for the Cursed Spirit. But I can't find it.

I snap my head towards Okkotsu, making sure that he didn't disappear either. Luckily, he's still here. Remembering Gojo-sensei's words, I protectively take a step toward him.

But where's the Spirit?

I turn around, worried, "Where-"

Then I'm face to face with the Cursed Spirit.

(558 words)

Dunno if invisible Spirits exist but yea :D

and time skip between this chapter and the previous one