Chapter 42

"You were bullied in your old school, right?" Maki asks, staring at Okktsu with a cold glare.

"H- huh?" Okkotsu shakes a bit, looking quite shocked.

"It's obvious," She continues, "that you are f*cking trying to keep an 'I'm kind' image,"

Okkotsu straightens up, hurt by her sharp words.

"Why act like a victim when you are so well protected?" She spits out the words in a harsh tone, "This school won't take you easy, it's not like how you were treated when you could be all passive,"

He shudders a bit and takes in a sharp breath. I notice that his pupils are shaking.

"Maki!" Panda stops her, "That's enough,"

"Okaka," Inumaki agrees with him, a stern expression on his face.

"Fine," She mumbles, "So strict..." Then she continues walking without us.

"Sorry about her," Panda puts a hand on Okkotsu's shoulders.

"No..." Okkotsu says gloomily, "She's right,"

Time Skip

Inumaki, Panda, and I carefully climb off the car, and head towards the building. Our afternoon mission had already ended, it had only been about two hours since we had left the school. I let Itami finish regenerating my arm, which was cut off while trying to push Panda out of the way of a laser canon. At least he's okay.

We all head to Inumaki's room and watch YouTube with him for the next hour or so. Meanwhile, Maki and Okkotsu are still not back from their mission. I guess they had a harder one.

"Tuna Maki Yuta, shake takana?" Inumaki suddenly asks after the video ends, putting his phone away.

[Why isn't Maki and Yuta back yet?]_Inumaki

[What did he say?]_Panda

"They should be fine," I answer with a light shrug. Maki knows how to handle her weapons, and Okkotsu has his Spirit to protect him. Just then, Gojo-sensei knocks on the door and comes in.

"Maki and Yuta are at the hospital," He explains, "You guys can go visit-"

Before the end of his words, Panda and Inumaki rush out of the room, leaving me behind with Gojo-sensei. When they realize that I have not followed them, Panda comes back two seconds later, grabbing my arm and forcing me to go out with them. I sigh but don't say anything.

Mini Time Skip

"Good to know you guys are well," Panda says, sighing in relief. Maki is already out in the field, released from the hospital a few minutes ago. Okkotsu is also nearby, but at the weaponry shed, where he is getting introduced to a few weapons by Gojo-sensei and will hopefully get one of his own.

"Yeah," Maki says, then starts stretching her body, "Can you count the laps for me?" Maki slowly makes her way to the track, where she jumps lightly on the spot.

"Haneki, join me?" Maki asks me, shrugging.

I hesitate for a moment before replying with a nod, "Sure,"

Then I turn to Inumaki and ask the same thing.

Inumaki answers with a bright, "Shake!"

Maki, Inumaki, and I start running around the track. Panda sits on the grass, watching us. As we finish our first lap around the field, Gojo-sensei and Okkotsu emerge from the shed, carrying something—a katana.

"Yuta, go join them," Gojo-sensei says, nudging him closer to us.

"Umm... okay," He replies nervously, then walks over to the track.

"And Haneki!" He shouts out, "Come here," As Okkotsu takes my spot on the field, I walk over to where Gojo-sensei is.

"What," I ask, tilting my head.

"Well, when you fight Cursed Spirits, you favor using combat-style, right?" He asks, "Like punching,"

"Yeah," I say, "That's the only way I know that can kill them,"

"So," He turns around and heads towards the shed again, "I thinking of giving you a weapon. You saw Yuta's new katana, Maki has her polearm, Megumi also uses some..."

I nod and follow him inside the dark room.

"I mean, you can continue doing what you're comfortable with, but just in case," He runs his hand along the wall, thinking carefully before handing me one.

"You might like this," He says, "You know how to use it, right?"

I receive the gun, "Yeah,"

I turn the weapon around in my hand, tucking it in my hoodie pocket. It's a type 26 revolver, and based on its weight, bullets are already loaded in. Nice.

"It's for just in case," He says, "It's still capable of exorcising Cursed Spirits, though,"

(698 words)

im so sry for the late updates. ill prob be updating once a week now... ;-;