Chapter Twenty-Two

"Imelda, we need your help," Aden begged quietly to the lady at the door. The lady, Imelda, opened the door wider and motioned for them quickly get inside. They obeyed and she closed the door behind them. Imelda lit a candle and led them to the living room. Aden set Metcalf down gently on a couch and walked over to stand in a corner.

Elisheva knelt down beside Metcalf and gently grabbed his hand, pushing his hair out of his face. "Eva," Metcalf smiled at her. "I'll be alright."

Elisheva's eyes traveled down to his back. Blood seeped out of the cuts on his back. "Metcalf-"

The older woman named Imelda rushed over to them and began to clean Metcalf's back with a wet cloth. "This may hurt," her voice soothed over the both of them as she continued to wipe at the blood. Elisheva watched as Metcalf winced in pain each time the rag would move over his wounds. Once his wounds were cleaned, Imelda handed him a cup full of a dark liquid. "Drink this," she ordered him gently. "This will help with the pain."

Metcalf gave her a quick, suspicious gaze before looking down at the cup. He took it out of her hand and quickly drank the liquid.

Imelda took the empty cup and gave a quick nod. She placed a hand on Elisheva's shoulder and gave it a quick squeeze. "He'll be fine, Princess. Let him sleep." Elisheva didn't respond as she watched Metcalf's eyes drift closed. His hand went limp in her hand. The woman squeezed her shoulder again, bringing Elisheva's attention up to her. "Come, child. He'll be awake before you know it."

Elisheva reluctantly did as she was told. She stood up a followed Imelda over to the other side of the small house. Aden was sitting at a round table, swirling a glass of dark liquid. Imelda pointed to a seat across from him and Elisheva sat down.

"Seeing you three on the other side of my door was a great surprise," Imelda chuckled as she sat down beside Aden. A tea kettle and three tea cups were sitting in the middle of the table. Imelda reached to pour herself a cup of tea. "Help yourself, Princess."

Elisheva wrapped her arms around herself and stared at Aden. "What was my sister talking about?"

Aden's eyes snapped up to hers. "What are you talking about?"

"She told Metcalf that he was the one who killed the man she loved," Elisheva reminded him. "What was she talking about?"

Aden took a long sip of the liquid in his cup before answering her. "Your sister used to sneak out of the castle, Elisheva. It's obvious what she was talking about." His tone was snippy toward her.

Elisheva's brows scrunched together. She opened her mouth to respond to him when Aden interrupted.

"Don't say it, Princess." He took another swig of his drink, slamming the cup down. "Your parents knew who the guy was. He wasn't who your parents wanted for their daughter and decided that they needed to get rid of him."

"This might not be the best time to talk about this, Aden," Imelda warned him. "All of you have been through a lot. Tensions are high." She turned to give him a sharp look. "We need to focus on your brother's healing."

"She needs to know," Aden growled as he shook his head.

Imelda shook her head as she stood up, gathering the cups on the table. "The Princess has been through a lot, no need to remind her about those times."

"I remember the trials," Elisheva spoke up. She sat up straighter as she saw Metcalf slowly walk into the room. "Metcalf," her voice cracked.

Metcalf moved to her side before gingerly sitting down in the empty chair next to her. He placed a hand on her knee and gave it a quick squeeze. He turned his attention to Aden. "She knows about my exile, Aden."

Aden sighed as he leaned back in his chair. "Her parents didn't try to listen to your testimony. They needed someone to blame."

"What are you talking about?" Elisheva asked quickly before looking at Metcalf. "They used you as a scapegoat?"

Metcalf nodded. "They did."

Elisheva ran her fingers through her hair. "They blamed you instead of finding the real murderer?"

Metcalf gripped her hands tightly in his. "I couldn't tell you the truth. While I have some resentment toward your parents for exiling me, I still couldn't tell you the truth."

"D-Do you have resentment toward me?" Elisheva couldn't help herself asking out loud.

Metcalf traced his knuckles over her jaw line before cupping underneath her chin. "Not one ounce, Eva."

Elisheva gave him a small smile. She opened her mouth to respond when Aden got up quickly and stormed out of the room.

"Ignore him," Imelda chuckled. "Your wounds will heal quickly with that potion I gave you. Your body is already halfway there to being completely healed." She gave them a quick nod before showing Elisheva her room with Metcalf's next to it. "Get some rest. Both of you."

Metcalf grabbed Elisheva's hand and quickly pulled her into his room. "Metcalf-" she started before being pushed against the closed door with his lips against hers aggressively. His hands gripped her hips roughly, sure to leave bruises. "Metcalf," she moaned as his lips traveled down her chin and onto her neck. Her arms wrapped around his neck. "Metcalf," she gasped as his teeth scraped the sensitive part of her neck. "Your back."

Metcalf growled. "I'm fine, Eva." His hands moved lower and gripped her ass. "I need you now."