Chapter Twenty

Elisheva was very surprised when they reached the capitol city of Adamantes in three days. She knew they were traveling fast, but she expected to be stopped by other travelers on the road. Strangely, they met no one on the road in between cities. Even the cities were empty. Elisheva was becoming very worried about what her sister had done to the people of Glacies.

They continued to move toward the huge ice walls of Adamantes. Black metal gates opened up wide to let them in. The large party road into the city to see a few people walking along the cobblestone walkways. Shop owners stood outside their shops watching them as they passed by. Mothers grabbed their children's hands and pulled them in the opposite direction. The ice and snow houses looked gloomy and some looked abandoned.

Elisheva remembered this city as bright and lively, but now it seemed dark and gloomy. A couple of people who dared to stare out of their window did so in fear. Elisheva's heart squeezed as she noticed that her people now looked malnourished. She hadn't realized how long she was gone. Her sister had completely destroyed their people.

They road closer to the castle and Elisheva gasped when she saw it. The castle, once ice and glowing with pride, was now black and dark. Ten guards stood outside its massive gate dressed in black armor. The same armor as the guards that surrounded them. There was a dark, shadowy presence around the castle, causing a harsh shiver to move through her body. Metcalf pulled her closer to him protectively.

As the gates opened and they road through, Elisheva started to become extremely nervous. Her heart hammered in her chest as she gripped Metcalfs arm tightly. What would her sister do to her once they saw each other? Would she kill her like she wanted? Or will it be a cruel joke to show how much power Greta has? Another thought then came to her. What would she do to Metcalf? Why did he have to come with her?

Anguo ordered them to dismount and follow him through the castle and into the throne room. Just like the rest of the castle, it was covered in black and gave off a gloomy feel. The paintings that used to line the hallway leading to the throne room were covered with dark drapes. Elisheva tried to find her parents portrait, but couldn't find it. Where their portrait once sat was now a vacant spot.

Greta sat atop her throne wearing a black lacy dress and the black crown upon her head. A long staff with a green orb resting in a hole at the top was in her right hand, glowing ominously. She smirked at Elisheva as they drew nearer.

"Ah, my dear sister," she gloated. "Welcome back to Adamantes." She tapped the end of her staff twice on the ground, causing the soldiers around them to move away.

Elisheva and Metcalf stopped right in front of the steps leading to the throne. Anguo bowed before his Queen and stared fiercely at them motioning for them to bow. Elisheva, not wanting to be touched by that man or her sisters powers, gave Greta a small bow. Metcalf did not. He stood there glaring at Greta.

Greta's smirk grew when Elisheva bowed before her. She chuckled under her breath as she looked at Metcalf. "Why don't you bow to me, exiled?"

Metcalf curled his hands into fist. "Because you are not the true Queen of Glacies."

Anguo drew his sword and pointed it at Metcalf's throat. "You filthy scum! Queen Greta is the rightful Queen of Glacies! Bow to her you scum!"

"It's alright, Anguo," Greta told him as she held up her hand. "He will learn to be respectful of his Queen." Greta gripped her staff tighter making the green orb glow. Her eyes started to glow brighter.

Metcalf's hands rushed to his throat. His breathing started to become very short and he started to feel weak. He fell to his knees and gasped for air.

Elisheva fell down beside him and looked up at Greta. "Stop this, Greta! Stop! Please!"

Greta broke her gaze with Metcalf and fixed it upon Elisheva. Her eyes stopped glowing and the green orbs light dimmed. She leaned back against her throne and crossed her legs. Tapping her staff on the floor, Metcalf sucked in a large breath and released his hands from his throat. He stayed there kneeling on the floor with Elisheva beside him. He kept his head down and just looked at the floor as he worked to control his breathing.

Elisheva slowly stood up and faced her sister. "What do you want with me, Greta?" Her body was tense as she glared at Greta.

Greta smirked. "That's Queen Greta to you. What I want from you is to disappear."

Elisheva, confused, asked her, "What do you mean? I was already gone when you sent me to Exilium."

Greta sighed and slowly nodded her head. "Yes, you were, but the people still know that you exist. They have been complaining, constantly. They know that you exist and with that they want you back." She leaned forward. "They want you to be Queen, but I won't have it! I believe that if I make you disappear forever, the people will stop their complaining and finally except thatIam the rightful Queen!"

"How do you plan to make me disappear?" Elisheva sneered.

Greta smiled. "I'll kill you. Oh! And I'll kill this man beside you." She pointed to Metcalf. "Guards! Take them to the dungeons and get the preparations for our very fun day!"