Chapter Seventeen

Metcalf started to help pack the camp up before Elisheva made him stop and watch Aden. She argued with him that she didn't want him to reopen up his wound. He reluctantly stalked over to where Aden sat against a rock picking at his nails. He folded his arms and huffed as he leaned up against the rock next to his brother.

Aden looked up at him and raised an eyebrow, his eyes glinting with mischief and amusement. "What's wrong, brother?"

Metcalf rolled his eyes. "I have to watch you. That's what's wrong."

Aden laughed. "Why? Because I'm your brother? Or is it because I injured you and your girlfriend over there doesn't want you to hurt yourself even more?" He smiled evilly and cocked his head over to one side. "Does she think your that weak?"

Metcalf rolled his eyes. "What are you hiding, Aden?" Metcalf sneered.

Aden gave him a hard look. "I couldn't believe that you were still alive." He looked back down at his hands and began to pick at a callous. "You surprised me."

"You still tried to kill me," Metcalf sneered. He snuck a glance over at Elisheva, making sure that she was still safe.

Aden shrugged. "I have a job to do."

"You're not taking her," Metcalf growled as his attention turned back to his brother. Aden was craning his head around him to get a look at Elisheva. Metcalf positioned his body so he blocked his view of Elisheva. "Aden," he warned his brother.

A smirk spread across Aden's face as his eyes moved slowly to Metcalf's. "Never thought you would be this possessive, brother." He chuckled and shook his head. "I was surprised to find her alive, least of all with you."

"Keep your eyes off of her," Metcalf growled as he crossed his arms over his chest. He turned quickly on his heel and stalked over to Elisheva. He pressed a hand on her shoulder.

She jumped as if he scared her. "Don't sneak up on my like that, Metcalf. You scared me." Her head turned up to look at him, giving him a hard stare.

Metcalf chuckled and knelt down beside her. "I'm sorry. I thought I was being pretty loud."

"Well," she said quietly as she turned her attention back to the saddlebag in her hands, "I've been trying hard to figure out how to fix this saddlebag, so I guess I blocked all sound."

He took the saddlebag from her hand and tied the strings together. "Now, how hard was that? Also, you shouldn't block sounds. It's dangerous."

Elisheva rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I know. Why aren't you watching your brother?"

"I don't want too."

Elisheva sighed. "Well, lucky for you everything's ready. Let's head out." She stood up.

Metcalf heard a distant rumble in the distance. He turned and saw a cloud of snow rushing towards them. Squinting his eyes he made out the figures of horses. His eyes widened and he picked Elisheva up and threw her onto the horse.

"Metcalf!" Elisheva shrieked. "What are you doing?"

"We need to get out of here!" He pointed to where Aden sat and motioned for him to come over. Aden obeyed and hurried over. "We need to hide. There's someone coming towards us and we need to go! Now!"

"That horse can't carry three people!" Aden argued. "Lucky for you, I hid my horse. I'll be back." He ran off before Metcalf could say anything.

Metcalf sighed impatiently and jumped onto the horse behind Elisheva. He turned around to see Aden riding over to them. Metcalf then grabbed the reins and tapped the horse with his heels to make the horse go forward. He eased her quickly into a fast gallop and was racing away in no time.

"Metcalf," Elisheva turned her head towards him. "What's going on?"

"There's someone looking for us," he explained. He turned around to find Aden falling in suit beside them. Their pursuers were getting closer. Metcalf tapped the horses sides harder making her move faster.

"Metcalf!" Elisheva shrieked.

He turned back around and saw a wall of horses and riders blocking their escape. He pulled on the reins making the horses stop suddenly. He looked to either side of him and saw that there were even more horses and riders surrounding them. Elisheva shrank back against Metcalf.

A lone rider came out of the middle of the wall and rode towards them. The man was dressed in a black armor with the Queens enigma on his chest. The man nodded towards Aden before looking to Elisheva and Metcalf. He raised a hand and bellowed, "Hello! Finally, Princess Elisheva, we find you." He turned back to Aden and extended his hand. "Thank you for your help, huntsman. We will take her back from here."

Aden rode forward and grabbed the mans hand. "As long as I get what the Queen promised me, you may take her."

The man nodded. "You shall get what is promised to you." He turned to the rest of the riders behind him. "Form a circle around the Princess. Don't let her escape." He looked at Aden and motioned for him to follow. "You'll stay by me."

Metcalf glared daggers at his brothers back as he rode away. He felt something poke his making him move forward. He leaned down and whispered in Elisheva's ear, "I'll get you out of this. I promise."