Chapter 80: A salmon sandwich

Start from the beginning

"By the way, was she with Jay when I wasn't here?"

The light in her eyes screamed so loud that my ears were ready to run off. The familiar blue of her eyes sparkled through her widened surprise.

"Are you interested in Jay? Are you maybe jealous?"

The hope in her voice made my bones chill. I hated the part of myself that couldn't go on without him even though I promised him that we wouldn't ever get back together.

"We're together now, I have the right to know if he's flicking his wings elsewhere."

The chair she was sat on toppled backwards leaving nothing but a sour sound behind. The few people had all turned their attention to us but as Jess calmly cleaned up her mess, everyone turned their attention back to their plate.

Without a care, I took a bite of my salmon and salad sandwich, which was exquisite as the cream cheese tasted like heaven-

"What?"

She whispered-screamed.

"Since when? How did that happen?"

"I don't know, give me some water, the bread leaves my throat dry even though it's delicious."

I extended my hand to get ahold of the pitcher but someone stole it away, and way out of my reach.

I was about to scold Jess but her determined eyes made me listen to her.

"So I'll buy you the most delicious cake from town for this afternoon and you tell me how it went with my brother now. Deal?"

I reflected on the proposition, only to look mysterious but I'll buy it this deal. I would love any cake but the one from the bakery on the outskirt of the pack was the best and way too far.

If she was to make this much effort, she deserved to know but Jess was the little sister; I didn't want to put my worries on her immature mind.

"Okay."

I sighed.

But her reaction made it worth it, she made a little dance with her hands without making any sound nor drawing any more attention than needed.

"So we decided last week-"

"What since last week but-"

"Baby girl, would you let me start or I won't say anything anymore. Questions at the end."

Her puppy eyes dropped and finally she was concentrated enough to let me finish my little story.

"So last week, since my uncle is here and Jay is officially my mate we will act as a couple and with time we'll try to resolve our conflictual relationship."

She eyed me suspiciously.

"So what has changed since a week ago?"

"We're together."

"No you're not. You haven't seen him for a whole week."

I put my sandwich down as eating became a task too difficult for my brain.

"Jess, I might have forgiven him for now but forgetting it is a whole other issue. I accepted the bond but don't expect me to play the lovey-dovey couple in public. Moreover, I was busy getting my ass kicked."

She surrendered to my explanation and didn't try to bury me with her useless interrogation. Well, I was quite wrong.

"Actually, since Jay knew the truth about what happened between you and Dina, they no longer have any type of interaction. I think you should go and ask him about her because their relationship is way more complicated than I thought, it's not about her being his ex, it's something else because I can assure you that Volker hates any girl Jay slept with and none of them dare to even approach him anymore."

I laughed with bitterness coursing through my flesh, there might be a whole village hidden in Red Crescent with all these girls.

"Serah, can you fixate your eyes they're scary."

I looked at her, confused I could say. Through my glass, I could see how gold they were, and there was no sun to illuminate them.

My lycan side took over and here I was flashing people like a damn car.

"If you talk about Jay and girls that are not me in the same sentence, it irks me to this point so please Jess be more sensible."

She nodded and focused solely on her food. I copied and finally, I was alone with my half eaten sandwich, until a hand deposed itself on my shoulder.

I cried quietly and cursed Eos for not being busy as always.

I turned to him and he looked too serious for me to not listen. His words echoed and I knew that my sandwich would have to wait a bit longer.

"It's Max."