Chapter 67: A story I have to hear

Serah POV

"There you are Kamil, won't you introduce me, your friend?"

I had to draw my eyes down to meet hers. Kamil towered over me to get a view of his interlocutor.

"It's her Serah, you know everything that has to be known."

Then his hands went to my shoulder and instinctively my attention was torn from the smiling lady.

"Serah, my mom, Jeorgia."

I was drawn back to the woman as she suddenly brought me into an affectionate hug.
My arms delicately wrapped around her small features.

"So kids now that we're all gathered, let's go back together, dinner's waiting for us."

She took the lead and Kamil followed absentmindedly, so did I but I couldn't help asking.

"How did you know I was coming?"

Both turned around, but as soon they went back on their tracks.

"My son mind linked me just before."

She never faced me while answering and my senses were good enough to know that the atmosphere felt heavier.

"Then how did you prepare your dinner? I guess you didn't know, I can come another time if it's not convenient for you."

There was something fishy, I might be an unwanted guest, I shouldn't push myself into one's household private homecoming.
But she laughed it out.

"My mate did it you silly, don't worry about it, there is plenty for all of us."

I couldn't comprehend why but the air felt lighter with her playful reply.

And hundred percent my fault, I tend to forget people have fathers.

...

The walk was full of wonders, happy laughter, bird faded chirping around, and the blue glow basking the coming night.

We were steps away from a mansion enveloped in wines, and each of the navy leaves contrasted with the turquoise stones that constituted the imposing yet welcoming dwelling.
Kamil opened the door for us and let us in before closing behind.

"Here Serah, there are four families living here."

After the first three steps we were met with another door that Jeorgia unlocked. The locks clicked with a heavy sound as the keys bounced on the glassware. We soon followed; two doors and the stairs there were nothing else on this ground floor.

"We live on the first floor. Next to the Clearivans, they're nice and quiet."

We jogged the stairs and it was longer than I'd expected but I didn't lack the stamina nor did they.
However, my nose reacted to this unknown smell in which I could drown myself.

"It smells good!"

I whispered-shouted as I caught up with them. Their bodies reacted, I could guess with impatience.

"Are your senses predicting us a delicious dinner?"

Jeorgia always had the words to make us giggle, she didn't even reach her pocket that the door opened with a man way bigger than I would've imagined. He was taller than all of us and without really calculating us, he grabbed his wife into an embrace with such a gentleness I would have never thought him capable of.
His attention came back to us but obviously I was now the one distracted.

My gut was screaming the obvious, however, none of my cells wanted to go back only my damned sanity tried to warn me off.
Escape now or surrender forever.
How was to make a choice, deny my instinct and honor my reason or surrender forever.
This voice in my head was mine, it only proved how indecisive I was but I knew and I will avoid making a decision now.