p a r t II - s a t i n.

---------"You okay?" I asked Nubia as I walked over to her

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
"You okay?" I asked Nubia as I walked over to her. AJ and I just got back from walking booger. It was a brief conversation. I asked him about school and all of his friends. He was slightly delayed due to an accident he had as a toddler. He was at the playground and was pushed too hard by an older kid, causing him to hit his head too hard on the ground. The impact caused brain damage, leaving him with permanent delays. Mason was pissed that day, wanting nothing more than to beat the shit out of the kid.

I calmed him down, reminding him of what was important which was catering to his family. I remember the look in his eye, how angry he was and how much it scared me. My best friend never showed his temper and seeing it that day showed me that there was another side to him.

However, Aj was fine. Yes, he was a little delayed but he was the smartest kid I knew besides princess. He was always ahead of his class and even graduated high school early with extra help from his support group. He now works for a tech company from the home office I built for him before going to Europe. I always made sure they were taken care of even before Mason went off to the deep end.

They were my family.

"Yeah..I'm fine." Nubia responded back, but she was quiet. I looked at Delaney who shot me a knowing look before sighing.

"You're my auntie?" AJ asked as he sat next to Nubia's feet. Nubia nodded with a smile and he grinned.

"You're pretty. Mama, isn't she pretty?"

"Sure is. Just like her mother." Delaney responded. I just kept watching Nubia, her body language changing as she talked to her nephew. I smiled at their interaction before walking over to Delaney.

"Here..I'll bring more soon, okay?" I whispered as I discreetly placed the check in her hand. She smiled appreciatively before nodding.

"Okay. You'll keep me updated on everything? Including your girlfriend here?"

"What?!" I hissed causing Delaney to snicker. She always had jokes and knew how to press my buttons, but I knew it was all out of love.

"The way you're watching her is like a mama bear and it's cub. You love her. I always knew you would. It was always her." Delaney chuckled lowly. I just ignored her, rolling my eyes before handing her the letter from Mason. She exhaled slowly, rolling her teary eyes and looking up at me.

"How am I going to tell him that his father is dead?" Delaney asked shakily. My chest tightened, the same sinking feeling from earlier falling into the pit of my stomach and contracting my rib cage. I rubbed my chest, clearing my throat before stepping away.

"Excuse me." I walked out quickly, the cool breeze hitting my now clammy skin. My hands were shaking and I let out a breath, closing my eyes and reminding myself of the present.

Warm hands wrapped around me from behind, small, soft digits rubbing up and down my hood covered chest. She held me tight and I exhaled slowly through my nose, feeling her acrylic finger tips scratch up and down my chest, holding my neck and caressing my skin.