p a r t I- s i l k.

nubia in the mm.

im trying a new aesthetic. i like when y'all books be looking all pretty n stuff. i be noticing and reading yall books in silent 💗

c h a p t e r 2:

"Okay, Nubia..you're grown. No one will say anything." I whispered to myself as I looked in the mirror. Family events were always like a fashion show and I wanted to dress to impress. It was Angel's birthday. They were Baba's best friend and right hand man, so of course he was going to go all out. So I decided on a black dress with a loose back that exposed the column of my spine. The Japanese symbolism that laid down my back completed the look, the last symbol stopping just above where my ass would be exposed if it wasn't for the dress.

I had on my van cleef bracelet and the diamond necklace that my father got for me when I first went off to college. I had on a simple pair of black pumps and a black clutch to match. I sprayed on my perfume and looked in the mirror once more. My hair was in layers down my shoulders, my makeup heavy enough but not overbearing. I had in my contacts and felt confident.

"That is not my niece..no it's not.." I heard Nura's voice come from the doorway. I looked over and saw her smiling widely as she walked into the bedroom of my basement apartment. Sophia walked in behind her, both of us squealing as we hugged each other.

"It's so good to see you guys. Why are you here? Is Taina here?" I asked, watching as Nura's smile slowly disappeared from her face as she cleared her throat. Sophia looked down before looking back up and grabbing my hand.

"How was college? What was it like? Are you excited to be done?" Sophia asked rapidly as she pulled my arm toward the bed. I sighed loudly and plopped down next to her before smirking.

"I am so glad to be home, sis..you don't even know the half of it."

"Any boyfriends? Girlfriends?" Nura asked.

"Nope. I was in the books. I'm on my way to being a lawyer. I passed my LSATs. That's what's going on."

"That is so good. Don't be like this one and have me take her to the abortion clinic-"

"Mom! Jeez! Aren't we glad we did it? I wasn't ready. Nunu knows I wasn't either which is why she FaceTimed me the whole time after. When the time is right.." Sophia responded. I nodded in agreement, Nura pouting slightly before sighing.

"Well, I would've loved to raise another child. I wouldn't have minded, but you're my baby and I supported you then, and I support you now. You have your own business at twenty-two, and you're established. That's what matters."

"That's right, Auntie. I'm so proud of you. And I know things have been tough with your mama-"

"Uh uh. That is not her name anymore. It's Taina now."

"Hey..she's still your mama. We're just working things out. That's all. Besides, we have such a big family that it won't matter if she decides not to come around. Right? I've got my girls right here." Nura grinned as she hugged us both. We hugged her back when the sound of my mother yelling for us to hurry up came from the top of the basement steps.