*chapter seventeen*

|PAUL|

"What the actual hell is wrong with you?" Sam said pacing in the living room.

My head hung low in my hands. I really fucked up, and she was asking questions even before this happened. Emily had told Sam that she noticed how quickly I healed from the cut she had made on my arm, and it's only a matter of time before she noticed everything else too. And then I decided to lose my shit, and scream at her - almost phase in front of her. The look in those gorgeous eyes, like I was a monster, like I was going to hurt her. She thought I would actually hurt her... I almost fucking hurt her.

"You almost phased Paul. You almost phased all because she wouldn't talk to you?! All because she's having one off night after everything over the last few months?! The biggest secret that we've all been working hard to keep her safe from, and you nearly blow it because you were momentarily rejected?!"

"Sam, honey, he knows what he did. Leave the boy alone." Emily spoke from the kitchen.

Everyone else had gone home, Sam had made them leave shortly after, and I could only watch as Joni held onto Seth. She walked away without even looking back, clinging to his arm for dear life. I could tell she was crying, I could feel the hurt.

"I think it's time you tell her," Sam sat down next to me now, "I think it's time we get it all out in the open. The battle is coming up, we can't keep it hidden if something goes wrong and it's better she knows and knows why she needs to be protected that day."

"I can't Sam, I can't tell her."

"Why? What on earth are you so afraid of?"

My eyes flickered up to his as I tried to find the right words, "What if she's more scared of me when she knows than she is now?"

"And what if she's completely okay with it? You said she said it was a cool idea after the bonfire."

"Yeah in theory. She didn't mean it."

"There's only one way to find out. I don't want to pull the alpha rank here but I will, if you don't tell her by the end of the month. Now go home kid, get some rest. Everything will be okay."

I nodded softly, thanked Emily for dinner and walked out. I was grateful that I had to walk home, I would not be safe to drive between my anger and my sadness. It was peaceful out, would've been cold to someone normal but not to our kind - not to me.

Do I stop? Do I apologize tonight? I thought as I was staring at the Clearwater house. The TV showed through the window so I knew someone was still up. I stepped closer to the house and could hear her... I could hear them. Joni and Seth.

It sounded like she was begging him for something, and he just kept repeating no over and over. She's a smart girl, if she's going to break anyone then it's going to be him. Snow crunched underneath my feet, god I was being creepy. I shouldn't be here I shouldn't be listening, there's no way she wants to talk to me or see me. Turning on my heels I went to leave but then I heard the door open and a part of me really hoped it would be her.

"Get out of here creep." Leah growled at me.

She hasn't been at dinner tonight as she was on patrol, but I'm sure by now Seth had filled her in.

"I swear to god Paul. Leave the damn girl alone."

|JONI|

Seth took me home, he let me hold onto him as we walked. Rubbing my back while I cried a little, everything felt weird now and I just needed the comfort. Something was up, that wasn't normal or human or okay.