*chapter thirty-two*

The next couple weeks flew by in a flash. Paul and I grew closer, he took me to the movies and on a beautiful picnic on top of the cliffs. He took me to the same cliff I had jumped from when I tried to end my life, and I can't pretend like I wasn't super confused at first. But it was almost ceremonial, almost like an acceptance of overcoming some of the struggles I had faced. That's what Paul said to me anyway, when I asked him about why we were there.

"This is the spot I almost lost you, I remember being so scared that day and I didn't even know you then." Paul had said, looking out at the view of the trees, beach, ocean and the sky, "But I know you now, and I've gotten to watch you become such a confident woman. You were so timid back then, scared of the world. Given everything you went through I get it, but I love this person you're becoming. I love getting to be by your side for it all."

If it were possible to take mental pictures of moments word for word, the smells, the feeling, all of it, that would've been a moment I would've taken one.

Currently I was getting ready for work, twisting my hair into a bun wanting it out of my face for the day. Recently I had been thinking that maybe it was time to quit the diner, to find something I wanted to do long term, something better so I could move out on my own and feel like an adult. Sure I had some money saved up, but it wasn't enough to rent a place. Deposit, first month, and last month was more than I could do. Sure I made enough for rent every month, but just not enough to get me started.

The boys had fixed my car, so I opted to drive myself now. I loved the time with Paul, but I also liked getting that alone time, windows down and my music loud. It felt freeing.

"You look happy today." Nancy said, coming in just before my shift ended.

"I am. Life is good." I said while laughing a little.

"I don't think I've ever seen you like this. All smiley and giggly. That boy's good for you, the reservation is good for you."

She was right, I had finally found a place to call home. People to consider my brothers and friends I could call if things went wrong, Emily who was willing to teach me how to cook, Sam who was very fatherly even if it wasn't his intention. And Paul, who had the ability to make me feel like I was on top of the world even when we were just sitting on the couch watching TV. I loved all of them in their own ways, and could never repay their kindness and welcoming.

After work I rushed home to change clothes before heading over to Sam and Emily's for dinner. Sam was going to barbeque in the front yard and Emily was going to hang a sheet from the garage door so we could all watch a movie outside when the sun went down. I was so excited.

Hoping back in the car I turned the radio loud again, AC/DC blaring as I drove the small route to their house. I pulled in front, and just as I turned off the car everyone came running out. Not in an excited way, the boys immediately took a turn into the woods and I could only assume they were going to phase. Leah walked out last, giving me a glance before she took off too. I got out of the car extremely confused and headed inside, Emily moving around in the kitchen, grabbing things from the fridge. It looked like the barbeque wasn't happening at the rate she was tossing everything around.

"What's going on?" I asked, startling Emily.

With a big sigh she turned around, her brows furrowed and her jaw tight, "All I know is Bella is marrying Edward and she had the audacity to send Jacob an invite."

"What?"

"Yeah. Billy just called, he said Jacob opened the invite and just took off. I assume that's where they're all heading, to find him."