*chapter thirty-four*

|PAUL|

I walked into the room, eyes glued on Joni. Laying there she still looked just as beautiful as always. A small bruise on her head, make up slightly smeared, a needle in her hand and inside of her arm, and a clamp on her finger. The beeping of the monitor was the only noise in the room. Joni's mother sat on the chair next to her, her father behind her leaning against the wall. I placed myself in the other seat, ignoring their presence and taking Joni's hand in mine.

"What are you doing here?" Her mother asked rudely, I knew she recognized me from that day at the diner.

"I could ask you two the same thing." I snapped back.

"Don't be rude young man." Her father piped up from the corner.

"I told you to stay away from her. She doesn't want to see you."

"And how would you know what she wants? She's our daughter." He asked with a laugh.

"She's my girlfriend. You two made her life hell, you abused her, she left your house and never looked back. She doesn't want you here."

Her mother turned looking back at her father, sharing a look I couldn't identify what it was supposed to mean. Joni's hand twitched under mine and her eyes fluttered open, it was a relief to see her conscious again. But she ripped her hand away from me and crossed her arms, bringing her legs up to her chest and wincing in pain as she did so. Her eyes fixed on the two of them, and then snapping to me.

"G..get out." She said with a hoarse voice.

"Oh honey, I'm so glad you're okay." Her mother said standing to hug her.

Joni pushed her off, "GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT!" She screamed causing a nurse to run into the room.

"Everyone out. Give her space." The nurse said holding the door open.

I stood up to go too, until Joni grabbed my hand pulling on it, "Not you." She said sweetly.

I sat down and kept holding her hand. She took some deep breaths, and drank some water. Holding her head, I could tell she was hurting but I was just grateful she was alive.

"Did they get him?" She asked fearfully after a few minutes.

"Yes. He's dead Joni, the other guy was arrested."

She turned her head to me, laying back down on the pillows, a look of relief spread across her face.

|JONI|

My head hurts so bad when I woke up, it continued to hurt for hours after. Paul stayed by my side, I had no idea where my parents went after I kicked them out of the room. Waking up to them was almost worse than what I had just been through, I never would've expected them to come while I hurt. So many questions raked my head as I laid there unable to go back to sleep.

Paul was messing with the TV, finding something not irritating for me to listen to. I'd been advised to avoid electronics because of my concussion, so all I could do was stare at the ceiling and wait for the okay to go home.

I was feeling a whirlwind of things, relief that Ryan was dead, thankful the other guy was in police custody, anxious over how I would heal and if I'd have yet another scar. Fearful of my parents being so close, and stressed about the whole event. Would life ever be normal?

There was a knock on the door followed by two men walking in. Dress shirts and slacks on, I could see the badges attached to their belts.

"Joni Waters?" I nodded at him, "I'm detective Slater, this is detective Wilson. We have a few questions to ask you if you're up for it."