*chapter eight*

| Joni |

It had been two weeks or so since I'd been here, Sue had her son, Seth, brought all my things back to the house and had a friend pick up my car. She'd set me up a room in their garage, a pullout couch and a small TV. Nothing extravagant, but more than I deserved. I was really starting to like her and feel welcomed here.

She has a daughter too, but Leah just kind of ignores me, she'll say hi once in a while but usually walks around with an angry look on her face. On the other hand, I love Seth, he was like the little brother I never got. When he was home he'd hang out with me, help me make food, and watch Friends with me. He didn't look at me like Sue did, since telling her she still just looks at me like she's sorry. But Seth looks at me like I'm human, he doesn't ask about my bruises that have finally almost healed. He doesn't ask about my bandages or why I tried what I did. He just took care of me, and let me take care of him. It was nice, it was good, it was what I needed.

That guy that was here when I woke up has come around a few times, I learned his name is Paul. He's a friend of a friend of Sue's and Seth's. He hasn't tried to talk to me when he is here, he just kind of stares at me. If I'm being honest he scares me, he hasn't done anything but it's purely his size. The way he towers over everyone, and Seth is getting pretty tall but still not the same. I watch him too though, when he's not looking or when he's talking to Leah. The way he moves is graceful, his muscles toned and strong. And the tattoo on his arm is fascinating, I find myself trying to trace the details of it with my eyes when he's here. Seth and Leah have the same one, but it's different on him. The way he carries himself is different from them, Seth is kid-like and immature, but in the best way. Leah is like someone who hates the world. Paul is...confident, sure of himself, he stands tall and just seems like a force to be reckoned with. A force I would not be going near, now or anytime in the future.

"Do you wanna go out tonight?", Seth asked shaking me from my thoughts.

"Out?" I asked, looking at him confused.

"Leah and I were going to go to Sam's for dinner, there's a whole group of us that go. I thought you'd wanna meet everyone."

"I guess I could, if you don't think it'll be a bother."

Seth laughed, "Definitely not. Emily loves to cook, the more the better."

I changed clothes, putting on an oversized sweater to completely cover my bandages and some light blue skinny jeans. I braided my hair and put on some light make up, just trying to look presentable. Seth gave me the rundown as we walked over to the house, Sam was with Emily they're engaged, Leah would be there too, but she's Sam's ex so things are awkward. And then there's, Paul, Jacob, Jared, Embry and Quill. It was almost all guys, and if they were anything like Paul I'd probably be spending my night anxious as hell.

There was yelling when we got there, yelling and laughter. Seth opened the door to someone's arm wrapped around the head of another giving them a noogie, and I couldn't help but laugh. He grabbed my hand pulling me further into the house, and the boys let the other one go.

"Knock it off we have a guest." An older man said through chuckles of his own.

Everyone stopped and looked at me and I stood there uncomfortable until she spoke, "I'm Emily. It's so good to meet you honey."

She hugged me and proceeded to point around the table, "Sam, Jared, Quil, Embry, Jacob and.. Pa.."

"Paul", I finished for her breathlessly. I hadn't seen him in probably a week.

He looked up at me stopping his conversation with Jacob when he heard his name, and gave me a smile. He had the same look in his eyes that Sue always gave me. It didn't matter that he was smiling, his eyes looked sad.

The boys started laughing again, making jokes and Seth did his best to keep me included. I was seated between him and Paul and fiddling with hands under the table.

"How are you?" Paul said softly getting my attention.

"I'm..I'm okay. Better anyway, Sue and Seth have been really welcoming. It's nice to be wanted somewhere," I almost continued, wanting to dump out every feeling and thought to him but stopped myself not understanding the urge I had.

"I can't imagine anyone not wanting you around" he said with a smirk, a confident smirk.

"Well you never met my dad" I said absentmindedly feeling my eyes grow wide as I finished my sentence.

Paul looked like he was gonna say something else so I quickly turned away, wrapping my arm around Seth's and looking over at the Jenga game he was playing with Emily. I could feel Paul's eyes on me, but I ignored him. In fact I continued to ignore him the remainder of the time we were there. I'd already said too much.