*chapter thirteen*

| Paul |

My hatred for Bella Swan could not be described in words. She tormented Jacob after the Cullen left. Played with his heart and used him, putting all of us in danger with her inability to choose a normal, breathing, heartbeating human to date. And now that they're back, there's another one hunting her. A redhead wanting revenge for the Cullen's killing her mate.

I tried to convince Sam that we should just let her kill Bella, but he didn't go for that. Which is why we're all patrolling constantly now. I feel like I never have time to sleep, or eat, I never even have time to see Joni. The best part of my days were picking her up, the way she would smile at me and her hugs. Everything in me just wanted her to be mine, but not now. Not with the redhead on our land, everyone was in danger and Joni doesn't know anything that's going on. I haven't seen her in days, technically anyway. Sam stuck me on late night patrol, so I'm no longer able to be there as a human but I'm there every night in the woods as my wolf.

Every night she looks sad, scared, her eyes typically scan the parking lot and I don't know if it's for me or the guy who hurt her. But I made sure I was there to watch her and keep her safe.

I was sitting in the kitchen when Sam came in, the guys all laughing and Emily going crazy cooking for the bonfire tonight. Sam hugged her and kissed her forehead and I felt a wave of anger because I couldn't have that. For a lot of reasons, but right now it's because of what Sam said and alpha orders have to be followed.

"Oh look Oscar the Grouch is here again." Jared teased, making me snap my head away from Sam and Emily and glare at him.

"It's cause he hasn't seen Joniii" Embry piped in very sing-songy.

I growled and Sam tapped the back of my head, the frustration of not seeing your imprint was something they didn't understand. At least with Kim and Jared she knew about wolves, so if couldn't see her then she understood why or she'd just meet him the forest for a few minutes and they could talk then.

"He gets to see her tonight." Sam said.

"What? Wait I do?" I said turning around to look at him, thinking he might just be fucking with me.

"Yes, at the bonfire. Sue called and said Joni was coming," he chucked a little, "she practically threatened my life if I didn't let you go. Said Joni just walks around all mopy about you. Kinda like you do here."

There was a wave of relief that washed over me, I'd finally get to see her. But now I'd probably have to a reasonable excuse as to why I hadn't called, or texted, or shown up for her. Was she going to be mad? Would she even want to talk to me? The wheels turned as I sat there eating. Time ticking by slowly and my brain only focused on Joni.

I walked through the woods heading down to the beach when I heard what sounded like an argument. I kept walking and there was an older man, tallish, balding, broad shoulders and a beer belly. He laughed, and said something and then a woman responded. And that's when I realized it was Joni. I watched a moment longer, he grabbed her arm, trying to pull her away from the vehicle and she fought, pulling back bending his fingers but it didn't work.

"Let. Her. Go." I said walking up behind the two of them.

The man stopped and kept hold of her arm as he locked eyes with me, obviously annoyed, "Everything's fine, I came here for my daughter. This doesn't concern you."

Ah, so this was her father. I didn't know much about the man, but I knew enough to tell this wasn't the first time he had put his hands on her. Joni looked back at me with fear in her eyes and I felt myself becoming more and more angry and I noticed her arm, the redness as his fingers shifted to hold tighter on her, the whiteness underneath his grip.

"It doesn't look like she wants to go with you, I suggest you leave," I spoke firmly as I stepped in between them, trying to place Joni behind me.

"She's my daughter."

"She's an adult who doesn't want to go with you. Let go of her arm."

He yanked on her pulling her away from me and hearing Joni let out a small yelp almost made me snap and shift right then and there. But I couldn't, not here and not infront of both of them. I clinched my fists tighter, in an attempt to calm myself down. We were in a standoff, sort of. Me glaring at him, and him glaring right back trying to be as intimidating as possible but for obvious reasons it didn't work.

I reached down grabbing his arm, feeling it twitch as I grabbed right between the muscle and the bone. He let go of Joni and I watched out of the corner of my eye as she moved behind me, using me as a shield. Thankful that she was now safe.

I leaned down to his ear, "Leave Joni the fuck alone. If I see you around her again, or on reservation land I will kill you myself and the police will never find your body."

It only took a few moments from when I let him go for him to get back to his car. I was still angry, but as I heard Joni take a deep breath I felt myself relax a little. She leaned against the car and I just wrapped my arms around her. I think she thought it was to comfort her, and sure a part of it was, but mostly it was for me. Not seeing her, not talking to her, and now seeing her being harmed by someone else. I needed the comfort in knowing she was safe in my arms, free from harm and that I'd done my duty as her imprinter to protect her.

We brought the items over to the table for Emily, and I could hear Joni's heart racing she had relaxed some but still wasn't okay. I grabbed her hand and she didn't pull away.

Joni sat herself down on the sand in front of one of the logs and I sat next to her. She leaned against me clearly not wanting to leave my side. She had kind of turned away so I couldn't see her face, my arm wrapped around her chest and she pulled into her body as though she was looking for security in being held. I could feel her taking lots of deep breaths, trying to regulate herself.

Everyone got settled in around the fire and I locked eyes with Sam, he gave me a look of concern and I kind of frowned at him, in a way to tell him that I'd explain it all to him later.

Billy smiled and started talking, "The Quileutes have been a small tribe since the beginning...."