*chapter fifteen*

Paul became extra protective over the next couple weeks. I think he was afraid my dad would come back, and to be fair I was too. He started picking me up from work again, he was at Sue's house as much as could be, and texted me if we weren't together just to make sure I was safe. It was sweet and weird in a way, but I'd never had someone care so much for me before that I welcomed it.

I asked Nancy to switch my shift so that I would now be working mornings, and she obliged as we just hired another waitress who could work nights. This change meant getting up earlier, but also that I could start having dinner with the group almost every night. I enjoyed being surrounded by them, the laughs and conversations, Emily teaching me recipes. The way Paul would sneak his hand under the table and pat my knee when he could tell I was anxious.

That's where I was heading tonight, Paul had picked me up from work and taken me back to Sue's. He had errands to run so I was left to walk to Emily's alone, it wasn't far and it was decent weather. I threw on leggings and a sweatshirt wanting to be comfortable. And put my hair in a bun, knowing I'd have to wash it later but not having the time now.

The house was empty, so I locked the door behind me. And placed the keys between my fingers, though I didn't mind walking alone I felt the need for some sort of self defense given all that had happened. If need be, I hoped the keys and my right hook would be enough. The sun was setting and there was a breeze, but it was still light enough to see the path infront of me.

Halfway through the walk I got a eery feeling, as though someone had their eyes on me. I didn't see anyone around, I kept my head up and was hoping my peripheral vision would be enough to notice if that changed. I was near the edge of their drive way, the road on one side and their house on the other when I could hear a truck, it was loud so naturally I assumed it was Paul and I smiled, stopping where I was knowing it was getting closer and hoping to see him. But it wasn't Paul, it was another truck that seemed to slow down as it passed the house. My smile dropped and I just stared at it confused as the man drove slowly, making eye contact with me and leaving me with a familiar feeling inside.

"Gotcha!" A male voice laughed from behind me, wrapping their arms around my waist.

I scream and kicked back, before turning and swinging making direct contact. With their arm.

"Jesus Joni, what the fuck?!"

The voice was angry this time and I felt myself jump back, noticing the tiny spot of blood on the upper arm as he held onto his groin. I now knew it was Paul, and I had no reason to act the way I did.

"I..I'm sorry," I muttered out waiting for what was to come next.

This was the part where he was supposed to scream again, or grab me or hit me or something.

But he didn't, he took a big deep breath and looked at me and laughed a little bit, "You okay? I really didn't expect you to jump like that. And what the hell did you cut me with?"

"My keys." 

Paul chuckled again taking a step closer to me, "I'm not mad babe. Let's get inside."

I shuddered a little as he put his arm around me, that triggered something me I thought I was healed from. I hadn't been scared of Paul in so long, but the way he raised his voice... It kept repeating in my head, I almost wanted to cry. Maybe it was just because of how he grabbed and not so much that it was him. Maybe it was just because of the truck that slowed down in front of the house. Either way this was a feeling I needed to shake and I needed to do so quickly.

He pulled open the door in front of us, and used his other arm to guide me in. Looking back at him for a minute, that's when I realized the blood on his arm was gone - and there was no cut either. It was although I never touched him. How could that be?