*chapter thirty*

|PAUL|

Our date was wonderful, everything I wanted it to be. Everything she deserved, I'd give Joni the world if I could, but I'll settle for giving her a reason to dress up and some really good pasta. But then there was the big issue, sex. I can't lie and say I didn't want to, I do. But I used to be the guy who would go through girl after girl and use them for just that. I wanted Joni to know that she was more than that, imprint or not, she was a beautiful girl, who didn't deserve the things that she'd been through. She deserved to be loved, and if we jumped into bed too soon, I don't know that I'd ever get her to believe that.

We were at Sam's for lunch, she looked so cute sitting at the table. I loved that she felt comfortable here.

"Rachel's coming tonight too." Jared said, catching me off guard.

"Who's Rachel?" I heard Joni's sweet voice say.

Giving Jared a look, I was begging him not to say anything, "She's uh Jacob's sister."

Joni nodded and dropped the conversation, I could feel Emily's eyes burning a hole into me. It's just how do you tell your imprint about the girl who you dated for two years and then she broke your heart? And then you rebounded over and over, becoming a shitty person until you met her. I didn't want Joni to see me as a player, or a bad guy and I knew if she knew my past that's all she would think - that's why I hadn't told her it before.

I took Jared outside after eating, hoping to have a man-to-man talk.

"Thanks for that back there," I said as we walked towards the beach.

"Sorry, I figured you'd covered it."

"No she's never even asked and I wasn't going to volunteer the information."

"Bro you gotta tell her before someone else does."

"Who's gonna tell her?"

"Kim would, Emily would, Embry's dumbass would."

We chilled at the beach for a while, Kim came and joined us. And I just sat there in thought, I wasn't ready to tell Joni any of this, I didn't want to see the disappointed look I'd know she give me but I definitely didn't want her to find out another way.

I figured Jared wouldn't say anything, and I knew Emily wouldn't unless she was asked, so if I could keep Kim and Embry busy I had nothing to worry about for the night. Jared was with Kim, so I played catch with Embry. Keeping an eye on Joni as she helped Emily with food, she was always looked so pretty, effortlessly. And I would just stare at her forver I could.

"Paul!" I heard and groaned to myself knowing who it was.

Rachel came running open her arms wide, I stuck one arm out giving her a small hug trying not to rude. When her lips touched my cheek I was just praying that Joni didn't see.

"I've missed you, how have you been?" She asked, her voice slightly nauseating.

"I'm good."

Jacob came over and the two of them and Embry started babbling about her college life and her degree. I tried to plan a escape route. Her hands were tightly wrapped around my arm and I was trying to get Jacob's attention to make her let me go. She stayed this way, even when I tried to start throwing the ball around again. She just wouldn't let go.

Sam and Emily came over, and I tried to get Emily to take her away.

"I'm sure Rachel would love to help you with the food Em."

She looked at Rachel and then at me with a sly smirk, "Actually Joni is finishing setting it up now. So I don't need help."

"Who's Joni?" Rachel asked looking up at me like I'd done something wrong.