*chapter twenty-six*

|PAUL|

Today's the day. The day we've all been preparing for and hoping wouldn't come so fast. But now wasn't the time to be scared, it was the time to aggressive, to get pissed off.

We met at Sam's and went over the game plan one more time. The little Cullen said they would be coming to the field, so the Cullen's would stand there and meet them for their attack. They'd go first and we'd come out from the woods, a surprise attack.
Jacob would be up the mountain with Bella, and Seth would be there as well. Sam wanting to keep the youngest out of as much action as possible.

We phased and headed out, everyone's thoughts running wild. Replaying Sam's words, he gave us a long speech about this being what we were meant to do.

"Long before any of us were born our ancestors were given a gift and a duty. The gift turn into wolves, and the duty to protect our land and the people of it. A threat is coming, a big threat, but this is what we're prepared for. What we're meant to do. We are faster, stronger, and more powerful than anything that will come our way. Keep your heads on straight, keep your thoughts in check, and put all fear to the side. Let's kick some vampire ass!"

Never had I felt more strength than I did right now, all the anger I had me in channeling through. The anger at my mother for leaving when she was young, at my father for never being around, at Ryan, at vampire's, at Bella. We could see the Cullens over the large rock we were behind, they were standing there looking out into the distance. Then we could smell them. Before we could even see them, the smell ran through the air - more potent than usual. They came in a stampede and when they got close enough the Cullen's took off, hand to hand. They began snapping necks and throwing them to the side, one came close to the rock and that's when Sam jumped out. He was followed closely by Leah and then me, and then everyone else.

I got my teeth on my first one, feeling the bone crumple underneath my teeth. I ripped his head off and moved onto the next. After a few, one got too close almost getting his arms around me. The bigger Cullen came in and got him off of me, holding him so that I could bite off his head. We shared a knowing look, before getting back to it.

It was over quicker than I expected. The Cullens prepared to burn bodies and we prepared to leave. Bella, Edward, came down from the mountain. We waited near the edge of the woods for the okay to leave and for Seth and Jacob to follow. The little one held a concerned look on her face. The kind I've learned she makes when she has a vision. I became more annoyed, there was no way for us to communicate to understand what she was seeing.

I heard running and that's when it happened. A new born came out from hiding, his arms waving around, and his face angry, distorted even. Leah jumped first before we could even move, and she struggled. The thing wrapped it's arms around her, Jacob came running out from the trees near us jumping in and knocking Leah away. It got it's arms around Jacob and squeezed, he let out the most heartbreaking, painful scream. Leah jumped again killing the newborn this time and we ran into the woods, changing quickly and coming back to Jacob. He was phased back, laying on the ground naked, in pain. Holding his side his teeth gritting like he wanted to yell again but physically couldn't. The doctor came over, it was bad. The ribs on his left side completely broken, his shoulder knocked out of place.

"They're coming." The little one said, once again looking off into the distance, her voice alarmed.

"Take him home. I will come check on him as soon as I can." The doctor said.

In a group we picked him up, Jared and I under his shoulders the rest under his toroso and legs. My heart hurts seeing my pack brother in pain, but there was a small sense of relief. Relief that this was the worst of it, with our wolf blood Jacob would heal quickly. He'd be in pain, he'd need medicine, it would be a rough couple weeks. But in the end he would be okay, and the rest of the pack is intact minus a few cuts and scrapes.
We got him back to his house, Billy wheeled himself out onto the porch, eyes filled with fear and the look of a proud father.

It would be a small wait for the doctor. We all stood outside, except for Sam, he ran back to his place to let Emily, Joni and Kim know things were okay. I can't imagine the worry they've felt all day, trying to keep themselves busy, having no contact with us, only having their thoughts and eachother to occupy their time with and not knowing. The not knowing would've killed me if I were in their shoes.

Doctor Cullen came, giving us a small nod and thank for our help, before proceeding inside to Jacob. Only a few minutes after he arrived Jacob was screaming his head off. Every scream sounding worse than the one before, we collectively flinched from the noises coming out of the house. Trying to patient for when they finally ended and we could hear from the Cullen that he was healing.

Sam returned with Emily at his side, Kim too, and the prettiest girl behind him. Joni smiled at me, and jumped into my arms. I felt her smell me while she hugged me, like she always does and I kissed her forehead.

"How is Jacob?" She asked to me quietly.

Before I could answer he let out another scream, making her jump into my side and look at me with wide eyes.

"Right now, not so great. But he's alive that's what's important." I said into her ear.

Another scream.

"Why'd he have to butt in? I had it." Leah said loud enough for us all to hear, angry, arms crossed around her body. She'd been repeating that in some variety for the fourty minutes that we'd been standing out here.

"Give it rest Leah." I snapped back.

Her head shot up and she glared at me, then looked at Joni giving her the same nasty look she had given me before walking off to a tree a distance away from us, but close enough to be involved.

That stupid red truck came pulling up in front the house, Bella hopped out. Her face looking emotionless, and empty, as always. I rolled my eyes a little as she walked over to us. Waiting at the steps like she was somehow one of us. But none of us wanted her here, she caused this.

The doctor came out, Billy behind him, he looked a Sam offering a peaceful smile, "I had to reset his bones since they had all healed incorrectly. The morphine will wear off soon, but he should heal up just fine."

"Thank you." Sam said while sticking his hand out.

Cullen shook it back, "Thank you, all of you. We could not have done this without you."

He walked over to his car, past Bella and hurried off the reservation. This was the one exception to them being on our land, and honestly a good excuse at that.

"He's asking for you." Billy spoke, looking at Bella.

This made me roll my eyes again, and hold Joni a little tighter. She almost caused his death, she caused him serious pain, and yet she's the first thing he wants as he heals. If it were me, I know the first thing I would want was Joni, but Bella isn't his imprint. She doesn't love him. The leechloving bitch walked inside. Joni moved her head and let out a yawn, I can't imagine she'd slept much last night. I know we all didn't.

"He's going to be okay," Sam spoke causing all of us to turn our heads towards him, "we should all go rest, let him rest and be grateful for today's win."