*chapter forty-five*

|JONI|

I woke up to my phone ringing, and I can't lie a part of me hoped it was Paul as I never heard back from him after I left yesterday. But it wasn't, it was my realtor, Sarah.

"Good morning Joni! I have great news." Sarah said.

"Yeah?" I replied, still half asleep.

"The house sold! We got a great offer, two thousand above asking price. They'll be all set to move in by next week."

"Oh my god. Yes that's great!"

"I'll call you with more of the details in the next couple days, you're probably going to want to get cleaners in there and obviously have to get the rest of your things out as soon as possible."

"Yeah, yeah," I sat up in bed, feeling my eyes go wider and wider at the realization I had just a few days to find a place to live, "I'll get right on it. Thank you Sarah."

"Of course Joni, it's been a pleasure working with you."

Hanging up the phone I found myself pacing, stressed filled my body as I thought about finding a new place. I thought I had more time to look, but now I'd have to get a new job in order to pay rent somewhere, or a mortgage. The money from the house would help to buy another but it wouldn't cover everything after taxes. Taxes. Shit I didn't even calculate that into everything.

My phone started ringing again and I rushed to pick it up, a small, tiny piece of me hoping it was Sarah to tell me the buyers backed out already. But it wasn't it was Paul.

"What?" I said when I answered.

"Joni, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for yester..."

"Paul I don't have time for this right now. It's fine, we're fine, we can talk later."

"What's going on?"

"I'll call you later."

I hung up, and took a quick shower throwing on some leggings and a T-shirt and began cleaning and packing. I was putting my things into boxes and trash bags wondering how I ended up having so much crap to go through still. I moved downstairs and began cleaning the baseboards and the floor. My head snapped to banging on the door, I was frustrated but thankful for the break.

"Hey," I said to Paul as I opened the door.

He stepped inside and looked around at the bucket and the mop, "Stress cleaning?" Paul said with a small chuckle.

"Something like that."

"Can we talk?" He asked as I grabbed the mop handle again and went back to what I was doing.

"Baby I really can't right now, I have so much to do and figure out. The realtor called this place sold, so I have to clean it and find a place."

"Why don't you just move in with me?"

My head snapped up, meeting his eyes - he wasn't joking.

"I don't know..."

"Listen, I know I've been jealous and I've been an asshole and I'm sorry. I've just been terrified of you leaving me again, but I realize now I can't stop that. If you want to you will but I have to trust that you won't. And I do, I do trust you Joni."

"You have been a real asshole..."

"I'm know baby. I'm sorry."

"I really don't like it when you're angry." I said softly, looking down at my forearm and the small bruise that was left from yesterday.

Paul eyed it too as he walked over to me, he ran his fingers over it, "I'm so sorry baby. I never meant to do that."

"I know. I hope you know I'm not flirting with the boys, it's not like that."

"Yeah believe me I realize that now."

I looked up at him, standing up as straight as possible to show him I was serious, "If anything like this," I moved my arm with the bruise, "happens again I'm out. I will leave and never turn back. I'm not dealing with that bullshit again."

Paul nodded and kissed my forehead. I leaned into him, hearing his heartbeat and feeling some of my stress fade away.

"Are you really okay with me moving in? I can pay rent and split the bills, I don't have a job yet but I will soon."

Paul chuckled, "It's paid off, so no rent. And no rush on the bills either, my dad's been paying them while I wait to start at the garage."

"The garage?"

"Yeah Sam's uncle owns a garage, I'll be fixing cars and stuff but actually getting paid for it."

"I love you."

"I love you Joni."

Paul pressed his lips into mine, his fingers barely touching my spine making a shiver run up my back.

"I still gotta clean. Help or get out." I laughed pulling away from the kiss.

"Help it is."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"AHHHH!" I screamed in to my pillow.

Paul came rushing into the room with a concerned look on his face. We'd been cleaning for hours and I still felt overwhelmed, there felt like so much to do. I know it didn't all have to get done today, but it felt like it was endless.

"What's wrong?"

I just glared at him over the pillow, getting ready to scream into it again when he took it from my hands.

"Babe," Paul said holding back a laugh, "this isn't productive."

"I've been productive all day, and there's still so much to do."

"It's really not that bad. We can do the upstairs baseboards and the fans tomorrow, and pack up the rest of your stuff too. We can put the bed up for sale, or give it away along anything else you don't want. It won't take but a few hours."

"Yeah I mean maybe your right..."

Paul sat down on the best next to me, putting his arm around me tightly. I closed my eyes trying to relax, I didn't realize how cold I was until he touched me.

"Why don't we go to Sam and Emily's for dinner? And we can just watch a movie and relax." He asked, leaning down to kiss my neck.

I squirmed as the kiss tickled and giggled a little, "Sounds good to me baby."