human will

Long ass chapter, so grab a cup of coffee... or wine

////

Dazai stayed in a little apartment that the LAPD had gotten him, just to play along with the story we had made for his fake persona. A fresh out of college young man that had just gotten a job at a bar while he pursued his dream of making art. It was a cheesy story but the guy named “Viktor” bought it as if it was gold. 

Out of all the people that reached out to Dazai on the dating app, Viktor was the only one we could not track down. So naturally, we saw him as the prime suspect. 

I slept alone in the hotel room. The small room felt enormous without the eccentric detective. It was way too quiet, way too lonesome. We talked regularly, phone calls and texts throughout the day and whatnot. But the fact that I came back to an empty bed made it obvious how accustomed I have become towards the bandaged man. 

It has been a week since the plan has taken place. The police monitored the texts Dazai and the man named Viktor exchanged daily, also Sam, Bobby and I would stake out of the bar Dazai worked at just in case we saw something fishy, since we had all agreed to drop hints of where Dazai is, to lure him out. 

The stupid genius detective had a hard time accepting my orders and playing along with the whole team. It was not unknown to me that Dazai prefers to work alone and behind the curtains, it gave him the sense of control and power he had always longed for, the only thing he could hold onto to feel less vulnerable. But now he had surrendered it all to me, and he was clenching his jaw. 

“I think it's unnecessary to have you all staying five hours outside the bar, I can take care of myself” Dazai's voice rang on the other side of the line. 

I was laying in bed smoking a cigarette and staring at the ceiling. I found myself smoking more these days, ever since he was not in the room the need for reminders of him was imminent and I just have no self control or respect by now. 

“We have discussed this before, you told him the name of the bar where you work so you need protection, it's logical” my voice was raspy and my throat felt dry from all the smoke making my body its home. 

“It's taking way too long” He said in a serious tone, the one he uses when he wants to take command. 

“I have always trusted you, now it's time you put your trust in me. I don't need you to follow every order I give, I need you to trust my judgment” I said in a tired voice.

“I am trying, pretty eyes” He said, surrendering. 

“I know, you stupid, handsome detective” 

He chucked and I giggled. We said nothing after that, just our breathing resonating through the line. The feeling of the end was inevitable, it shook the whole room and we did nothing about it, we both felt it but couldn't do anything to stop it, so we stayed in that line, walking to each other in the tightrope. 

We fell asleep hanging into that line. 

“It's almost time” Sam said, looking at the bar entrance. 

People were coming and going from the bar. The two weeks have almost been completed meaning there was going to be a kill, a fact that was making everyone nervous. The young woman's eyes had gone blank for a while, Sam had seen the light fade from day to day but didn't say anything about it.