glue trap

Things have been kind of hectic in the office.

Everyone has a lot of work, I barely have time to catch up with people, I just say 'Hi' and 'goodbye' to my coworkers, even with Dazai. He has been kind of busy with a specific case that he doesn't tell me much about, which makes me kind of worried because he has really been working, even when we are visiting each other he is working while I read or am doing a hobby on my own. He also is actively hiding information about the case from me.

"I'll tell you everything once it is over!" His voice repeated in my head, his tone was extra cheery making it suspicious, but I was also too busy with my own work to question him.

I have been given a more active role in the Agency, apart from profiling I took care of victims, driving them around, helping keeping them safe, and some rescue missions too. Since I have better control on my ability, more responsibility is being put on my shoulders. I like it but I miss having more time to do nothing at all.

Working with victims has also made me feel incredibly guilty about my very own family. Seeing people be reunited with their relatives reminds me of how my very own blood and family is pretty clueless about what was going on with me. They don't know about the ability, about Lilith, about my secret relationship with the detective they hate, my other kind of secret friendship with a Port Mafia Executive. They would all have a heart attack.

"Could you drop off these papers to the police station? Dazai said something about sending Atsushi but he is running late, it's just a few blocks away" Kunikida asked me while handing me a yellow folder, not even looking at me, just completely immersed in his work.

"Sure!" I took the papers quickly. I am dying to get some fresh air and maybe sneak out and grab a coffee. The past couple of weeks have been stressful. Between the work, Dazai being weird and actually working, and ignoring whatever happened with Chuuya and I, things make me want to pull out my eyelashes one by one.

As I was walking out of the police station and looking at people coming and going, I felt as if my glass of water overflowed with things I needed to deal with.

'Maybe I need a break' I thought to myself as I walked aimlessly, running from my responsibilities indirectly, not caring about the scolding Kunikida was going to give me for returning late to the office, then I saw a moth, it was on a wall, black with two blue spots on the hindwings shining like they were eyes. The little moth started to fly into an alleyway and I followed it. I don't know why I wanted to see where it went but my feet kept moving, traveling the city through the backdoors, where no one but the Port Mafia and different criminals went.

I could feel the stares of the men wearing black suits follow me as I ran after a moth, confused but they did not interfere. With my friendship with Chuuya being a little more public, while also being close 'friends' with Dazai, no one really dared to bother me, and honestly, they should have stopped me. They should have asked where I was going, they should have pulled me out of my trance.

The moth stopped in a building where the Suribachi City began, the creature stopped and so did I. The entity inside me was making herself known more than usual, making me think we should head back and ignore the tingling sensation on my chest and hands. So I turned around, having the Agency on my mind, distracting myself with what I was going to have for dinner and if Dazai would be coming over, most probably because he is too lazy and unmotivated to cook.

But I heard a cry, a baby's cry.

And I knew my feet would enter that rundown building, I knew it was going to be a mistake, I knew it was a trap the minute I was dragged out of the city, away from my peers, away from anyone that could talk some sense into me. My hand on the doorknob, I let out a breath, the feeling of heaviness flowed through my body the moment my skin touched the metal, but I could not ignore the cry of a baby, because that was not an 'I want attention' or 'I want to be held', not even a 'I am hungry' cry, it was an 'I am suffering' cry. And whoever made this trap for me is well informed, I am a self sacrificial martyr.