spinning

I opened the door and everything looks just about the same as the last time I was there, except the feeling is different. 'I am in control of myself, I'm not just a victim anymore', I kept saying to myself my stupid mantras.

"Hi-" I got cut off by Dazai's entrance as he practically dragged me to the center of the room by the hand and started twirling me around like a freaking ballerina.

"Our beautiful new coworker is here! Everyone say hiiiii♪︎", he was screaming as if he wanted everybody on the damn building to hear, I just left myself be twirled around, it's honestly not the worst thing that has happened to me.

"Dazai thas enough" said Kunikida as he smacked Dazai's head with a notebook. Dazai stopped twirling me as he held his head in his hands with agony.

"Maru-san welcome, as you are officially working for the Armed Detective Agency" he said to me while handing me an ID and a padlock and key, "this is for you, the room next door is full of lockers, choose one empty and mark it as yours" he continued.

"Thank you, um, I have a question" I paused.

"I am working for the Armed Detective Agency, not a member" I said as a question.

"Ah yes, naturally if you don't have an ability you can't be a member per se, but it's almost the same, mere semantics" Kunikida responded with a straight face.

"You don't know that." Dazai said out of nowhere while rocking on his chair.

"Yes I do, I have the authority to receive and manage new employees" responded the blonde detective, getting kind of annoyed.

"You don't know if she has an ability or not" the brown haired man kept rocking in his chair, always an inch away from falling.

The air turned very tense as everyone started to look at me with a curious yet worried face.

What the fuck is he babbling about? I don't have an ability, pretty sure I would know by now, why is he making everyone doubt me? I'm pissed, I wanna give him a zape again.

"I don't have an ability, Dazai. If I had I wouldn't have gotten myself kidnapped and almost killed. So stop making everyone become wary of me, please" I said bitterly looking at my shoes.

It kinda sucked you know? I know only a small part of the population has abilities, ain't no one's fault, and it was fine before, where I'm from almost no one had an ability so it's not like a trouble myself thinking about how it sucks to be a mere human, but now... I'm gonna be surrounded by extraordinary people almost every day.

It sucks.

"I just said you don't know thaaat~, ugh why is no one listening to me today" he pouted as he was now spinning in his chair instead of rocking.

"Because you are unbearable" Kunikida said to him as he turned to face me again. "Your job for now will be rearranging some files and making case files, you will also be interviewing people if needed, always supervised of course, I saw in your curriculum and personal file you prefer working with victims rather than aggressors, and that will be respected unless we are short handed, but don't worry about that for now" he added.

I'm amazed at how he didn't even have to take breaths to say all of that, and so naturally, this man really loved working.

I felt a little tap on my shoulder, when I turned around there was a blonde young boy about my height smiling sweetly at me.

"Hello~ we didn't get the chance to meet yesterday because I was kind of tired. I'm sorry!" He said while playing with his overall, "my name is Miyazawa Kenji, it's a pleasure to meet you!" His voice was enthusiastic and joyful, honestly the cutest kid I have ever seen. I wanted to hug him and give him some candy.

"Hi Kenji, I hope we get along, I like your overall". His eyes grew big and shiny as he started to tell me how they were very comfortable and he didn't like shoes, then he proceeded to ask me why do I wear uncomfortable shoes and he went rambling for like 10 minutes, we all let it happen.

But when he told me he's only 14 years old, a string was played and I got kind of sad. By now I was sitting beside Dazai at the provisional desk.

"Kenji-kun, where do you like living the most in your old town or here in the city?" asked Dazai to the young boy out of nowhere, I didn't even think he was listening since he got some headphones on.

"the city of course! City folks are so weird and amusing, plus back in the village everyone is kind of old, and here I have lots of fun!!" Kenji responded truthfully, making me smile a little, it was reassuring to know that at least he feels happy here even though he risks his life-

Wait a minute.

Did Dazai notice I got a little sad for Kenji?

If yes, that's very nice of him to try to cheer me up but also... it's kind of creepy, I don't think i even made a face to show my sadness, plus Dazai is listening to some music with his eyes closed lazing around "as always" like Kunikida said. Atsushi did tell me Dazai and Rampo are the best detectives in the Agency, but still, everything that Dazai does or says confirms to me something.

He is very very very bad news. That man is trouble and I should probably stay away from him.

And that's how I started working for the most chaotic office in town.

-----

Kind of short but the next chaperts are pretty cool!

-M