16

Hyun's POV

" my parents died in a car and accident when I was 8"
She says out of the blue.
I snap my head towards her as she continues.
" I had been living with my uncle. He'd treat me like a slave, beat me, yell at me, only feed me once in a week, I became malnourished, I don't even know how I survived it"
She said and let out a sad chuckle before continuing.
"when he couldn't bare the burden of me anymore, he dropped me off at foster care. I must admit, it was better at foster care than with him. I was there for a month. During that month, a man named Mr Jacob visited there regularly, he'd play with me the other kids at the foster care, he'd tell us about his wife and how she'd love to have kids but she was barren and we'd believe it. A day came and he decided to adopt me, I wondered, 'why me' i, but I didn't ask. When he took me to his home, his house was empty, I enquired about his wife but he slapped me and threw me in the basement. Only then did I understand that all he said and did was a lie. The basement was dark and I was too scared to try to find the light switch so I curled my self up in a corner. I cried and cried and cried till I couldn't feel my face. I decided to call for help and so I did. I yelled at the top of my voice for several minutes but to no avail. A second after I stopped yelling, the basement door burst open, revealing Mr Jacob, he took long strides towards me and grabbed the back of my neck. He said -seems I'll have to teach you how to keep your mouth shut- and with those words, he threw me to the floor and took off his belt. He walked towards me and tore off my clothes, he stared at my naked body lustfully, i tried to cover up with my hands but he grabbed my hands and tied them with his belt.."
She stopped and sniffed before continuing.
"he took of his pants and.......and..raped me..I screamed but he clasped his hand unto my mouth, I cried and bled but he didn't stop. He did it five times that day, disposing each condom he'd use. When he finished, he left me on the floor and walked out of the basement, locking the door. I was aching all over, I couldn't feel my legs, my throat was dry, I had lost hope of ever having a good life so I decided to kill myself. I felt my way to the wall and was about to bash my head on it when the sounds of sirens stopped me, followed by the basement door bursting open and in came the policemen. Turns out the neighbours heard my screams the first time I yelled, I was saved. They helped me out and arrested Mr Jacob. He was struggling with the the police men when he said -better sleep with the lights on little girl because I'll be back-. I was taken back to foster care, I went for court cases and the final judgement was in my favor. I wasn't told how long he was to be in jail but I was told I was safe. The trauma of what happened to me from my parents death till Mr Jacob's jailing, hit me hard, I still have the nightmares till this day. About 3 weeks later Mr and Mrs grey adopted me. They cared for me like their own child but there are just some memories that never fade away. They gave me their surname and a place in their home."
I became speechless at her words. I stared at her, no reasonable words forming in my head.

She had suffered so much at such a young age and all I did was fuel up the memory by yelling at her...

"I.....I'm sorry"
I finally spoke. I spoke words I hadn't used in a long time to a person i barely know, yet, I feel such feelings towards.
I hadn't noticed she was crying until she wiped her tears away with her palm.
"you don't need to apologise, you didn't know"
She said then looked at me, her gaze meeting mine. Her blue eyes reflecting much pain, it would have anyone begging for peace, for death, but she lived through it.

My eyes became hot and wet, I didn't understand this feeling or what was happening until a drop of warm liquid fell unto my cheek.

Am I crying...

Her eyes became soft and I immediately looked away from her.
For some reason, the confession of her horrible past had me remembering mine.
"I'll take you home, let's go"
I said in a soft voice. She hummed and stood up, I quickly wipe away my fallen tear and stood aswell.

She looked at me and smiled, my heart felt warm at her gesture.

How can someone still be as good hearted as she is after having been through so much...

I had already made up my mind to protect her from then on, and if this Mr Jacob person dares to come back, I'll make sure he's dead before she comes to know of his reappearance. I'm not sure if she'd like it if she hears that her uncle is dead, so I'll let him live, for now.

There was awkward silence as I drove.

I park at the front of her maisonette.
"Lia"
I call out, stopping her from reaching for the door handle. She looks at me and I continue
"you said you needed a part time job"
I stated and she nodded.
"I'll give you a job. When you're done with your classes tomorrow, don't leave, I'll take you to my home"
I said.
"no, no, it's fine, I don't wanna be a burden I'll..-"
She says before I cut her off.
"you're not a burden"
I imposed.
How could she think that way of herself, she can never be a burden.
"it's my choice to give you a job okay? "
I say, looking right into her eyes.
"okay"
She says, looking away. I lean in to open the car door, our face, inches apart.

My gaze feathered down to her lips. Red and perfectly curved, small and perfect.

With one little movement, I could kiss her...

My lips part a bit at that thought. She immediately looks away like she read my mind. I open the car door and relax back into the driver's seat.

She steps out and picks her bag, she closes the door and waves me off.