Nova was quick to walk toward her mother, who sat on the sofa watching television. She embraced her, and they talked about everything that the twins got up to. From the times they woke and the amount of milk they drank, to how many nappy changes and what clothes they got changed into when they spit up.

The twins were asleep in their bassinets at the end of the sofa, and I watched with a soft smile as Nova flittered around their sleeping forms. I took off my boots and moved to the kitchen, so ready to down a hot drink. Reggie was sitting at the dining table, and when he saw me approach, he rose from his chair.

"Phoenix, nice to see you, pal."

If it was anyone else, I would've scowled at the nickname, but from Nova's parents, it made my heart feel warm. I never had such a caring father, and despite his lower status, Reggie was devoted to the both of us. It made me miss what I never had, and long for the love my mother gave me. So the terms of endearment could stay, as well as the first name basis. We were family now, after all.

"Reggie," I nodded my head, clapping him on the back in an embrace. "How were things?"

"Fine," he shrugged, moving back to his coffee. "They woke and stayed awake for about two hours, had two bottles and then fell back asleep."

"Good," I nodded, pleased with his simple answer.

"How was the run?" He grinned, watching as I placed a new pod in the coffee machine.

I wasn't used to talking so openly with other people, unless factual, and after a moment's hesitation, I answered him.

"Fantastic." I replied, watching my coffee pour. "She wants to do it every week."

"That well, hey?" His eyes widened with delight, casting a look at his daughter. "I am pleased it went well. You were gone a few hours, so we hoped nothing went wrong."

"I spoke to Lou once, and she said they were asleep." I shrugged, taking my mug. "I am glad the twins were so good for you."

"Newborns are the easiest. The lack of sleep is the only thing you have to worry about." He chuckled. "Leo had such terrible colic at around three months old. I feared we would never have a silent evening again."

I frowned. "I hope we miss that one."

"I do too, for your sake." He snorted. "I am pleased my daughter had a good time with you. You take good care of her."

"Always," I shook my head in agreement. "She was terrified of losing control."

"She's always been... Nervous." Reggie frowned, his brown eyes foggy slightly. "As a child, she would be so jumpy and quiet, and didn't play with others much. She wanted to, so badly, but as she grew older, she started isolating herself. Her pack mates were not kind to her, but you have proven yourself to her and I thank you for bringing her out of her shell."

My heart warmed. "I don't deserve all the credit. I was... unkind to her in the beginning."

He shook his head, smacking his lips together as he finished his coffee. "I wouldn't say that. You protected her from afar, and you did what you thought was the best for her. Admittedly, hearing that you ignored the bond pissed me off, but you were protecting her from the greater evil."

I sighed. "I just wish things weren't so complicated."

He laughed, patting my back. "Nothing is easy, and if something new comes to you that works right away, it's not the right thing for you."

I frowned at his words. As pessimistic as they were, they seemed to resonate within me.

"Now you have kids, you have a lot of adventure to create." He grinned. "The twins are going to run circles around you and pit you against each other, but once you are past that, it will be a breeze."