"Did you enjoy your run?" He wondered.

"I think it went well," I shrugged. "I didn't see any of it."

He hesitated before chuckling softly. "I suppose you didn't. But I told you it would be fine, and I guess I was right!"

I laughed softly, running my hands through his hair. "I ache now."

"Want to swim in the lake?" He wondered.

"Naked?" I raised my eyebrows, eying the blue water.

"Nobody is around, I made sure of it."

"You did? How clever are you?" I teased.

He growled softly, leaning forward to graze his teeth along my jaw. I laughed happily as he walked, the soft sloshing of water coming from around his knees.

Phoenix kept going until my toes dipped into the lake's edge and eventually, my entire lower half was submerged. I shuddered at the change, the water cooler than I expected.

"It's cold." I frowned.

"Well, it's not going to be warm. It's March," Phoenix shrugged.

"I don't have wolf heating." I tutted.

"Stay close to me then." He grinned.

I rolled my eyes but pressed my body closer to him. The water rippled around us softly, and together, we just allowed its embrace. Phoenix walked through the depths, my head on his shoulder as I looked at the surrounding forest.

It was nice being here in Phoenix's embrace. It had been so long since we had time together when the world wasn't weighing down on our shoulders. Through endless sleepless nights and days that blurred into one, I often lost track of my present. We bickered, lost our patience, collided with our opinions, and fell asleep at ungodly hours.

Our bond stretched, our emotions scattered and nerves fried. We were stressed, tired, and underfed, and I cannot recall feeling so elated as I did right now.

Being a parent was hard work. I truly think people do not realise how emotionally tolling it was.

But not once had I thought about the twins, and it made me feel slightly guilty.

"I should check in on the twins..." I mumbled.

His voice vibrated his chest. "I already have. They are back asleep."

I pulled away to look down at him. "They are?"

"Yes, I spoke with your mother when you shifted back."

"Oh," I breathed. "What else?"

"Now, now, this is us time. The twins are fine and safe, and fast asleep." He kissed my nose.

I scowled. "I just wanted to know..."

"No mind-linking, they are fine." He smirked. "Let us enjoy this."

I hummed, resting my head back on his shoulder. He held me weightlessly, my ankles locked around his back as we floated through the water. It wouldn't be long before the sunset, the sky growing darker already.

"We should do this more often." I muttered.

He pulled away from me, forcing me to hold my head. "Really?"

I frowned, confused by his shock. "Yeah, it's nice to just be with you. Peacefully."

Phoenix grinned, kissing me passionately. I melted into him, enjoying the way his lips caressed mine and how he claimed me with his hands.

Pulling away, I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. "What was that for?"

"I'm proud of you." He stated.