Chapter 75 - 『Three Hundred Years' Worth』

Start from the beginning

The sound became more clear when Cale saw a silver wraith butterfly coming near him, it was as if sensed his presence and went close to him.

"You have stalled enough time, three hundred years is already long Your Highness."

Three hundred?! He lost his memories that is worth of three hundred years?!

Before Cale could let out a noise of disgruntlement, Hua Cheng instantly appears before him, catching the redhead off guard.

The ghost king placed a finger atop of his lips, as if he was beckoning Cale to not speak or let out any noise.

"...Would something such as this will suffice?" He could hear the sarcastic and bitter tone that Xie Lian had let out, making Cale's hands sweat considering he could only hear and not see what the God was pertaining to.

"Indeed, Your Highness. It should be enough for his mortal body to take. If he did ascend in the near future, we shall ask you humbly again for another decision."

Cale could hear the closing of doors from the other side. Soon enough, it was followed by a slam of a hand atop a desk and the clattering of things that fell from a table.

"Damn it...!"

Cale's mouth opened as if he wants to say something, but when he couldn't think of any words to utter, he closed it again.

Instead, it was Hua Cheng who spoke for him.

"Gege, should we come there?"

Xie Lian who was on the other side was silent at first, before both could hear his tired tone.

"No need, San Lang. I'll go there once I have calmed down."

Hua Cheng hums, "If gege say so."

The wraith butterfly fluttered near the ghost king before it disappeared without a trace.

"Follow me, don't stray far."

What could Cale even do but follow?

Looking around, Cale had found themselves into what seem of a kitchen the moment he blinked his eyes open.

"Sit there and slack off. Don't even do anything at all."

It was weird how the great and mighty ghost king like him would know what Cale wants to do at the moment.

So he nodded sat there, in one of the stools as he watched Hua Cheng busy around like he was in his natural habitat.

"San Lang."

Both heads turned to look at the newly arrived Xie Lian, whose face looked like he hadn't slept for days.

"Gege, welcome back."

Cale frowns when he sees how affectionate the two are with each other, turning his head away from the sight as he remembers Lan Xichen all of a sudden.

"Cale."

It was only after a while before his name was spoken, yet he didn't dare to look at the two as he still felt awkward around them.

So instead, he hums in answer.

What, this two are supposed to be his foster parents, world be damned on how they managed to adopt him and get his permission in those three hundred years.

"Cale, look at us."

There was something about Xie Lian's tone that made Cale look at him, as if he was a child who is looking up to his parents.

"...I'm sorry."

That statement was not what the redhead had expected from him, a God who is apologizing for a mere human like him.

Though, it's not like Cale is completely oblivious on what the God is apologizing for.

"If it's regarding the matter where my sin is heavier than yours, there is nothing to apologize for Dianxia."

After the redhead had said that, he could see how Xie Lian's eyebrows furrowed in confusion before he looks at Hua Cheng pointedly, who in return just smiled as charming as he could.

"What was it that they wanted me to bear?" The redhead asks, as if wanting to finish their talk as soon as possible.

Xie Lian pondered for a moment, as if he was thinking the right words he should say for the redhead.

But in the end, Xie Lian knew that Cale preferred straightforward answers.

"They wanted to give you a cursed shackle."

The once childish look on Hua Cheng's face turned into a serious one as he waited.

"I see."

Cale does not know what he should do. So in the end, he just stayed still.

"Cursed shackle? There is nothing to restrict in him considering his golden core broke." Hua Cheng coldly says, in which Cale chose to just stay silent about it.

"They know that. It's just..."

Cale then spoke with a blank look.

"Just as a cursed shackle restricts one's spiritual power, it also gives another curse."

Like how Xie Lian became immortal with the one in his neck, and how the one in his right ankle seals away all his luck.

"They then chose to target those who are dear to you. That is your curse."

"Everyone you love dies because you share a portion of the White Star's curse. This is true, even when you were Kim Rok Soo."

"Everyoneㅡ"

Cale slams his head on the table, as if he was trying to silence the voice and memories that tried to resurface from the depths of his mind.

"Everyone you love diesㅡ"

Another slam.

When it didn't stop, he continued to hit his head. It was only after three hits before Xie Lian grabbed him and buried Cale's head against the God's chest.

"Stop, don't hurt yourself."

Why is it that it was always those around him?

He's right there, isn't he?!

As he clutched the God's clothes in attempt to ease his anger, he gritted his teeth in pain.

There was a searing burn that is starting to etch around his neck, as if someone was writing against it with a scalding iron against his skin.

Yet even amidst of it, he didn't voice out his pain. He only grunted out his rage because a part of him knew, he didn't deserve to whine about the measly pain he's experiencing.

Because of some sin he couldn't even remember doing, his people are being included in his curse.

He couldn't bear the single thought of it. He couldn't bear to experience the thought of losing everyone again for the third time.

Why is it that it was always him?

Geez, I wonder what is this.