Chapter 17 -『A Waterborne Abyss』

As a week passes by with Cale watching all the horrendous acts of flirting from Wei Ying to Lan Wangji, the redhead could only sigh with Lan Xichen chuckling beside him.

A distant sound of something crashing was then heard.

Cale brushes his face with his own palm, sighing once again in exasperation as he watch the two run around each other.

"What did he do this time?"

The redhead could hear Huaisang lightly gasp under his breath, whining when he sees a book in Lan Wangji's hand getting crushed to dust.

"What did you even give that idiot?" Jiang Cheng asks, even though he already have an idea about it.

Before Huaisang could answer, they could hear Lan Wangji bellowing 'get lost!' that it shocked them, even Lan Xichen was flabbergasted at his brother.

Lan Xichen then gasp in amusement, easily reading his brother's stoic face.

"A-Huan, do Yunmeng Jiang disciples always catch water ghouls since you are close by in a river?"

Cale looks in confusion, while Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang couldn't believe their ears for a second.

The Zewu-Jun? Calling someone intimately by their courtesy name? And it's their gege nonetheless?

And besides, why was Lan Xichen stuck to Cale like a glue?

"Just them. I'm too lazy to catch one so I'm just watching all the time, Xichen-ge." Cale answers, making Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang whip their heads to the redhead.

"Hold up, since when the two of you become this close?" Jiang Cheng asks, still baffled that his gege is calling someone gege too.

Lan Xichen just smiles knowingly while Cale looks away, avoiding the younger's question.

Nie Huaisang then whispers in Jiang Cheng's ear, "So suspicious."

"There are water ghouls that we needed to exterminate, so we are quite short of hands."

Cale then accusingly gasp before talking, "Ah, so you're asking them for help."

"Yes." Lan Xichen says, shamelessly.

He then leaned in close to whisper, "You must've noticed it too, between Wangji and your brother."

Cale indeed noticed the atmosphere around the two, so he just shrugged and pointed at Lan Wangji.

"Then, I'll be back. I'll just fetch Wangji."

As Lan Xichen hurriedly walks away, Wei Ying arrived and looked at the redhead in confusion.

"You two are close?" He asks his gege, who instead answered off-handedly.

"No, we're open."

"Huh?"

"Huh." Cale then teasingly imitates.

Nie Huaisang then coughs, hiding his laughter before bowing to the three of them.

"I'll pass on your trip to a river, Dage is urging me to study more."

Cale looks at Huaisang before nodding, patting the younger's head casually.

"We'll be back, A-Sang."

Nie Huaisang felt his chest warm up at the affection.

"Mn. Take care, gege, Wei-xiong, Jiang-xiong."

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶

"Nie Huaisang is too weak to carry a saber, so he was called a fool who doesn't know anything."