Chapter 15 - 『Far Away, Long Ago』

When Cale slowly opens his eyes, he could hear someone talking to themselves, but couldn't fully understand since he just woke up.

"...lusion...gize..."

The redhead exhales loudly, checking if he could still breath through his nose.

"...un-gongzi...hear me?"

'I thought I broke my nose, not my ears?'

Cale just groans, looking at Lan Xichen with a frown on his face.

"Don't force...self...gongz...should...rest...a while..."

The redhead easily follows Lan Xichen's words even though it's incomplete then closed his eyes again.

The next moment he opens his eyes, he could see the familiar figure of Raon sitting beside him.

"Human! Stop! Please stop!"

The black dragon continued to weep in his arms. Confused, Cale just simply soothed the child and rubbed his scaly back.

"I don't deserve it! So stop...I can love you enough for both of us...human...Cale...I beg you..."

Cale's lips moved on their own, and he could feel something trickle down his cheek but didn't bother to wipe it.

"Raon, how can I not love you hmm? How can I not when you are my child?"

The redhead wipes away the tears that fell to Raon's cheeks before continuing, "Everything will be all right."

"You know it wouldn't." Ohn intervenes, clenching her fist as she looks at their father figure.

Cale just smiles. The next time he blinks, he could another version of himself looking at him with tired eyes.

"I wonder, can we still trust ourselves after what happened?"

His breath hitched on his own throat, confused on why his other version said that.

"Why wouldn't we?" Cale asks.

The other redhead looked at his hands that was now dyed in red, dried blood clinging to his palm.

"It was our fault, after all." He says, and Cale could feel the sensation of having blood in his hands.

He doesn't know if it was his or from someone else. Rather, he doesn't want to acknowledge whose blood it is.

"What do you mean?" He asks, slowly becoming anxious.

The other version of him just grabbed his hand and squeezed it, the blood that was previously coated in their palms were nowhere in sight.

"In this third life, should we protect them still?"

"What nonsense are you talking about? Don't ask such obvious things." Cale immediately says, which made the latter shut up.

"I see."

The other knew that they are not strong, they are a weak and frail person to the point that they vomit blood once they used their abilities too much.

"Our ancient powers..." The other trailed before continuing, "Get them back."

Cale's eyebrows creased into one of confusion, baffled at what the other was saying.

"I always have them." He says.

"No, you don't quite have them." The latter says before tapping his temples.

"The God of Death was the only one talking in our head for the past eight years."

The other redhead then quirks his lips, "It was quite lonely for me you know, without others to talk to."

✶⊶⊷⊶⊷❍⊶⊷⊶⊷✶