Chapter 32 - Flushed Admission

♡Hailey♡

No, because how the actual hell is this happening right now?

I'm a tomato shade of red, I don't even need to look in a mirror to know it's true. My entire body feels like it's been lit on fire, and my breathing is shallow. I feel more alive than I have in months. Maybe even a year. It feels like every nerve ending in my body has flared to life in the short span of less than ten seconds.

He likes me.

Sorry, I misspoke. Jake fucking Sterling just outright told me he's in love with me, while I'm sitting on his lap in a dark classroom at...what time is it? Oh, who cares? I'm too dazed to even turn my head to look at the clock on the wall behind me.

Jake is blushing a deep, crimson red that is still very visible in the low light, and I'm staring straight at him with my mouth hung wide open, gaping at him. His gaze falls to his lap, and he closes his eyes, as if he's trying to pretend this isn't happening.

I wouldn't even be surprised if I keeled over from shock at this very moment.

The guy who's had me in a figurative choke hold for last past six months, overthinking everything I do, having embarrassing thoughts about, just admitted to reading a book because I loved it. Just admitted to stalking my instagram. Just admitted to wanting to kiss me.

This is real. This is happening.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not in some vivid fever dream because this is exactly what it feels like. I was ready to pass out from exhaustion about twenty minutes ago. Now I'm barely able to blink, scared to miss a single emotion that crosses Jake's face.

I startle when Jake groans and covers his face with his hands, pressing his palms into his eyelids.

"Please say something, Hailey. You're stressing me out."

What do I say? Oh gods, what do I say?! I've rehearsed scenes like this in my head so many times. The only way I can fall asleep is by creating fake scenarios in my head, so I should be no stranger to this whole...thing. I should have an entire folder stored away in my head with options to respond to the bombshell he's just dropped on me.

"Okay..so.." Jake blows out a breath. "If you could get the whole rejection thing over with a quick as possible so I can move on with my life, that would be really aweso-"

"You think I'm going to reject you?!" I interrupt, as soon as I parse the meaning of his words.

He thinks I'm about to reject him? Is he insane? Is he this stupidly oblivious? Yes is the answer to all three of those questions.

"Well, considering you're staring at me like I've just grown two heads, I figured you never..um.. even thought there was a chance I felt the way about you that I do. It's okay, I totally understand. I'm not very likeable so-"

"Not. Likeable?!" my voice increases in volume. He's clearly hit his head. Maybe he's lightheaded from all that running we did earlier. Maybe he's high. Maybe-

"Hailey."

"What?"

"I get it. You don't have to spare my feelings."

I stare at him, and contemplate slapping myself to check if this is all some dream, and I'm actually asleep in Luke's tent right now. Probably. Most likely. Definitely. Yep, I'm dreaming. I just have to figure out how to wake up.

"Are you going to keep staring at me, or are you going to say something?" Jake asks, clearly a mix between fear, annoyance, and...relief. 

I open my mouth to say something, then shut it, then open it again, and repeat that process about three more times. Then finally, I choke out, "I'm not going to reject you."