Chapter 28 - Fade To Four Years Ago

♡Hailey♡

"We're locked out."

I stare at Jake for a couple of seconds, unblinking. He's kidding. He has to be kidding. We can't be stuck in the hallway with an angry teacher searching for us. That's the stuff of nightmares.

"You're joking," I say. "Please, please tell me your joking."

He shakes his head slowly, and I nearly collapse. This is all too much for one night. To go to an event where you fell in love with someone who cheated on you, secretly escape into the hallway, learn that the guy you've been pining over for the last several months followed you, almost confess to him, get caught by a teacher and have to run for your life, only for you to realize that you're locked out.

This is not my life. It can't be. How the hell do I keep getting myself into horrible situations, such as this one? It's amazing, really. I would laugh if I didn't feel like falling to the floor and sobbing.

"It's okay. We can just check the other doors. There's got to be a way in, right?" Jake reassures me. 

His words don't do the least to help me calm down. I already checked all the doors earlier looking for a way to escape. The one that stands in front of us right now, bolted shut, was the only one that wasn't heavily guarded or secured.

Someone must have fixed the chain. Whoever it was, I hope they get food poisoning, and spend the rest of the night puking in the locker room. Serves them right.

"No, I already checked all the doors earlier. The only way we're getting back in there is if you bang on the door, and they let us in, and I don't know about you, but I really don't want a month of detention," I whisper.

"Okay, so then what do you suggest we do?" Jake asks, frowning, and jiggling the door handle.

"Stop. They're going to hear you if you keep doing that."

He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. I might find that hot if I wasn't so panicked.

I think back to my last lock-in, and how me and Adam camped out in the library for the entire night, talking and laughing. The thought upsets me even more and I close my eyes, trying to formulate a plan.

"Well," I say, breaking the silence after a minute. "It's not much of a plan, but we could try to find an empty classroom with a couch or something, and stay there for the night."

Jake nods and says, "Yeah, I think that's our best option right now, but we have to be careful to steer clear of that lady from earlier."

"Okay, let's go. Do you want to lead?" I offer, as he stands up straighter.

"Sure."

Jake pushes off the door and stops right in front of me.

"Do you want me to hold your hand again, princess?" He teases, offering his outstretched hand to mine.

I feel my cheeks heat up and cross my arms. I shake my head and glare up at him. "No. You're so cocky. I was trying to not lose you in the hallway idiot."

His hand remains outstretched, and I have to stop myself from reaching toward him. He's an annoying, self-absorbed asshole, and I want him more than anything. It's absolutely infuriating.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"We might lose each other. It's really dark."

"No, really? I had no idea. And still, yes."

"Fine sweetheart, then do it for me. I don't want to lose you."