Chapter 24 - Wouldn't Have Guessed

☆Jake☆

I enter my house and slam the door shut as hard as I can.

My mom's voice echoes from the kitchen, and she sounds tired. "Jake, sweetie, is that you? Where have you been?"

I trudge into the kitchen and throw my backpack on the floor next to the counter. All my siblings are either at the dining table on lounging in front of the TV in the living room, right across from the kitchen.

"Woah, what's up with you? Did you get dumped?" Milo snickers from the table. He has a page of what looks like math homework in front of him, but I can already see the many mistakes in his equations.

I pull open the pantry door and begin digging around, trying to find something I want to eat. Nothing looks particularly good at the moment, but I keep looking.

"Shut up Milo, you're actually retarded." Karlie replies a second later, clearly disinterested in whatever it is that she's doing on her phone. "Let him mope."

"Karlie," my mother says disapprovingly as she cuts a carrot into thin, perfect slices. She's quite a chef. "Don't talk to your brother like that."

"He's gonna grow up to be an asshole mom."

Lucy looks up from her Barbies for a moment, and stares at Karlie, before breaking into a giggle fit. "That's a bad word," She says innocently, still giggling.

Jeremy pops his head up from the couch and turns to look at her, grinning. "Who cares. Watch me, I'll say it as much as I want. Ass-hole" he purposely elongates the word, and Milo grins along with him.

"Both of you, knock it off. I've been meaning to hire someone to pull the weeds from the garden, but it will be one of you if you keep it up." my mom says sternly, emptying the carrots into a boiling pot of water.

Carrot soup. Disgusting, but I don't say anything for fear of having to weed the garden. I did it once when I was fourteen, and I would love to never repeat that experience.

"Jake never answered my question. You so got dumped, didn't you Jakey-Boo?" Milo says in a mocking voice. He heard Lia call me that once over the phone, and he hasn't been able to let it go since.

"No, she didn't" I snap, finally deciding on a box of dry cereal. "Aaron called me and he was being a complete shithead- I mean, jerk."

My mother throws me yet another disapproving look but quickly goes back to preparing other vegetables to add to the soup.

Karlie sighs. "I guess it would be too much to hope that Lia just decides to break up with you."

I've told my sister everything, and thankfully, she's good at keeping secrets.

I silently shrug, and head to my room. I have no idea why all my siblings have decided to perch in the living room and kitchen, but's kinda weird to have us all together in one place. It seems like all of our personalities clash, and none of us are family oriented. Except for Lucy. I don't know how she'll turn out. She's too young to tell at the moment.

I close my bedroom door and collapse onto my bed, replying me and Aaron's heated argument over the phone. It was I was at Hailey's house. I left after the phone call with him and only sent her a quick text telling her I had to leave. I feel bad. We didn't even get to the studying portion, but that doesn't matter.

All I wanted to do was spend time with her, and what I did was have a deep conversation with her for fifteen minutes, then immediately go downstairs and call someome. It looks bad, and I think about texting her back, apologizing, but I don't want to seem desperate. I have to keep my "too cool to care" act running, otherwise I'll become an even bigger target for Aaron.