Chapter 11 - The Perfect Verse

☆Jake☆

"You look good"

I lower my head and glance at Lia who's thrown her phone down on the couch.

"Not really."

"Well, I think so."

I'm praying to the lord that my family arrives home soon. I don't know how much longer I can stay here. I told her I was busy after school today, but she clearly doesn't take no for an answer.

I watch her slowly slither closer, and I jump up.

"I'm actually kinda hungry. I'm gonna go order something." I tell her, quickly turning away from the living room. 

I walk to the kitchen as casually as I can and pull up the Uber-eats app. I sigh and force myself to ask Lia what she wants for dinner.

"Lia, what do you want to eat?"

She pauses for a second. She's on a diet because Zoey called her a fat bitch about a month ago. Since then she's been non-stop exercising, and starving herself. I have to admit, she's lost a bit of weight, but she didn't need to in the first place. Fuck Zoey.

"I'm good, I don't want anything". She flashes me a very fake smile and continues scrolling on her phone.

I've tried arguing with her about this, but I know she won't listen. About two weeks ago we had a huge blow-up because she refused to eat the food she ordered at a restaurant after she was told the number of calories. 

She had ordered two hundred dollars worth of food and refused to pay for it. I told her there was no way in hell I was going to, and eventually, the manager had to get involved. He billed Lia after we explained what happened, and she wouldn't talk to me for three days.

Those were a glorious three days.

I decide to listen to Lia's request and skip her order. As much as I want to order something for her, I know I'll just be wasting money. 

I click on the domino's app. I can get myself a pizza, and have leftovers for tomorrow. It's perfect. Maybe I can even get Lia to have a slice or two. 

After I finish the order, I plug my phone into the charger in the kitchen and lay it flat against the countertop. I head back into the living room and plop down on the couch beside Lia. She lies her head on my shoulder, and I don't resist. It's times like this when I feel really bad for being so mean to her. She's going through a lot. I should be more supportive.

I reach for the remote and turn on the TV. It flashes on, and I click through movie options. 

Lia breaks the silence. 

"There's this new girl at our school."

I freeze. I can sense Lia's irritation.

"She's really stupid. She rammed into me today. I was late for the fifth period because I was soaked in coffee. Have you met her?"

I'm not sure if she's talking about Hailey, but I really hope not. Lia is a bitch to everyone but has certain people that she targets. They're usually other girls that get on her bad side. I would hate for Hailey to go through the pain Lia's other targets have endured.

Lia's friendship group is made up of five people, including her. Lia and Zoey are the two obvious ones, but there are also Maria, Lydia, and Jenna. They're basically all just copy and pastes of each other's personalities. 

I turn towards Lia and asked her the obvious question. "What did she look like?".

Lia sighs, and rolls her eyes. "She had blue-ish hair and was kinda short. Lydia was taller than her, and Lydia is short. We all know that."