Chapter 6 - The Introduction

♡Hailey♡

The first day of school sucks. I think that's something that everyone can agree on. It especially sucks when you're the new student, and the teacher asks to to "stand up and introduce yourself".

Here's a thought: Hell no.

I would bet money on the fact that about 75% of the people in the classroom will never give a crap about me or any of the "interesting facts" about myself. It doesn't help that I really don't like it when I talk about myself. 

In my opinion, standing up and talking about yourself on your first day of school should be a form of torture. It's high school. I doubt anybody would want to start this fine monday morning by listening to me talk about my favorite color or favorite Ice-cream flavor. Nobody cares about me, and I doubt I'll even find friends. 

Yet here I am. Standing in front of my new classmates. 

I can't find a single person in the class who isn't staring at me. It's beyond nerve-racking, and I can feel my heartbeat rocket, and my palms begin to sweat. 

If there's one thing to know about me, it's that I have awful stage fright. That was one of the things that killed the dream of being a pop star for me. I used to think it would be fun. Just standing in front of people makes me nervous. Now add in my lack of confidence in singing, and you have the potential of a mental breakdown.

At least I'm not singing. I'm never going to sing in front of a group of people ever again. Especially not after what's happened.

The only people I know so far are Zander and a girl I met earlier, Stacy. Zander is sitting across the classroom with his arms crossed, and a scowl etched on his face. He was incredibly grumpy and disagreeable this morning, and I'm just glad he actually made it to school.

Stacy is sitting in the front row, and I met her this morning when she offered to show me around. She seems welcoming and kind. Zander was toured by another guy because he quote "wanted to learn things himself". I'm not sure how my presence would change that, but I've learned to not argue with him. It just makes things worse.

Stacy is smiling and gives me a small thumbs-up from under the table. Zander continues scowling, and from what I can tell, he's chewing gum now. Fantastic.

I clear my throat and utter the first words that come to mind. 

"Um... hi I'm Hailey"

Silence.

How reassuring.

I decide to continue, because as much as I'm praying for an interruption, I have a feeling it won't be happening. Besides, what else can I do? Stand here in silence? That would probably make everyone think I'm a physcopath.

"I recently moved from Rosemedow, Minnesota."

Gosh, this is beyond awkward. The stares and quiet whispers are making me lightheaded. I might even pass out. I mean, that's one way to be known. As "the new girl who passed out because she was told to share a few facts about herself". 

"I just turned 17, and I have a step brother. He's sitting in the back"

Everyone spins around to look at Zander. He has his arms crossed and his facial expression is still a lovely glare. He's still chewing the gum. He gives me a dirty look, and scoffs, slouching down farther in his seat. I hear a few girls giggle and I can tell Zander wants to knock about ninety-five percent of the people in the classroom out.

"He's a bit disagreeable, but he grows on you. Eventually. It only took me four years to begin to tolerate him."

I hear a loud burst of laughter break out, and Zander's cheeks burn bright red. He shifts his eyes to the floor, and keep them glued there until the last bit of laughter has died down.