Chapter - 22 i never thought they would be without me.

☆Jake☆

I chased Hailey up her front porch steps, and I watched as she dug around in her pocket for a few seconds trying to find something.

"What are you looking for?"

"My keys"

"Sorry about my brother. He has no filter." I say apologetically shuffling my feet on the porch. "He was acting like a serious perv."

Hailey pauses her search and looks up at me. Her lips slowly pull up into a smile and she jokingly hits my arm.

"Well at least now I know where you got your attitude from" she laughs. "Next time though, let's walk to my house. It's not too far from school and it won't be nearly as awkward."

I smile and nod my head in agreement. I'd do just about anything to get out of having to ask Jeremy for a ride.

"Sounds good"

"Alright then" Hailey pauses for a moment to force her key in the lock and twist it open. "What are you failing the most in? We can start with that."

I groan, remembering the reason I'm at Hailey's house right now is because I need some serious help with my grades.

"I hope you remember that you promised breaks" I grumble.

"Jake, we need to actually get stuff done today. You can't mope around every day after school, it does nothing." she says firmly, pushing open the door and stepping aside to let me in.

"Ladies first" 

Hailey rolls her eyes.

"I've heard guys only say that because they want to look at a girls ass."

"Damn, who leaked our secrets to you?" I say teasingly.

"Shut up Jake" she says quickly, backing into her house as to avoid my obviously fake remark. She looks flustered and her expression almost gives me the energy to continue my charade, but I'm not a weirdo like my brother, so I knock it off.

"I'm kidding princess, keep walking."

I enter her house, and close the door behind me, following Hailey into her kitchen. 

Last time I was here, Hailey almost killed herself by choking on what I believe was a smoothie, then hid behind the countertop and told her brother to go away. I thought it was kind of cute in a way.

"Mom! Dad! Are you home?" Hailey yells as she drops her backpack on the floor next to the counter and heads to the pantry.

I don't really know what to do in the moment, so I pull out my phone and wait for Hailey to explain the plan for the afternoon. 

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

I look up to see Zander staring at me from across the room glaring. I take a couple steps back and give him a funny look.

Zander has never liked me. Then again, he doesn't like people in general. The only people he's nice to are Luke and sometimes Hailey. 

"Uhhh...Hailey's tutoring me"

Zander continues to glare at me.

"Zander leave him alone."

Hailey's voice is muffled from the pantry, but her irritation at her brother is obvious.

"Why is he here?" Zander asks.

"Because he needs my help and I have a heart. Go back to practicing your piano or moping in your room" Hailey answers.