Chapter 21 - The Side I Couldn't See

♡Hailey♡

"How about you give Lucia a tragic backstory, trauma adds spice to a character" 

I rolled my eyes grinning.

"Trust me, Milly, I'm already very aware. Zander is living proof of what trauma does to someone"

Milly giggles and leans back in her chair, chewing on her pencil.

"He's so moody Hails, I have no idea how you live with him."

"You get used to it"

"Yeah well, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to him. Where was he at lunch today? I haven't seen him all day." Milly says, twirling the pencil between her middle and index fingers.

"He ate lunch in the art room today. He didn't really give a reason, he just said he wanted a break. Whatever that means."

"I doubt it was anything remotely important. He gets upset if I text him any memes, which like, is so stupid. He's so uncultured."

"I don't know about that, he spends a lot more time on TikTok than I think is healthy."

"Yeah, well, still. Give your brother a lesson in social interaction. He's failing miserably."

"Trust me, I've tried. He's completely hopeless."

Milly opened her mouth to reply, but my phone alarm interrupts her.

At first, I was confused. It was Wednesday, and I had nothing going on. My schedule was clear, and I and Milly had planned to sit in the library writing for at least another two hours.

Then it hit me.

I groaned, standing up, gathering the sheets of paper from the table, folding them, and stuffing them into my backpack. I regret agreeing to help that idiot. 

"What are you doing?" Milly asks, leaning forward in her chair. "Where are you going?"

"I'm so sorry Milly, I forgot I promised to meet up with someone for a study session today," I say apologetically, still gathering the papers into a stack.

"Who are you meeting up with?"

My face turns red, and I stop for a second, internalizing the fact that I'm about to go spend three hours teaching Jake how to do math. He's so dumb, I doubt he'll get it. Still, it's nerve-racking. 

Milly gasps and stands up as her chair falls backward hitting the floor.

"YOU'RE BLUSHING!" she screeches, causing other people to turn and look at us. 

I quickly jump towards her, covering her mouth with my hand. I glare at her, but I doubt I look threatening because a few more muffled screams leave Milly's mouth.

"Zip it," I say quietly.

Milly removes my hand from her mouth and begins cackling, banging the desk with her fist as she laughs.

"I knew it! You like someone! I was waiting for you to spill!"

I sigh, grabbing my backpack from the floor and throwing it over my shoulder.

"I have no idea what you're talking about" I lie.

"Yes, you do! Tell me, please! I'm begging you! I'll do anything!"

"Sorry, but I really have to go. I'm going to be late."

"Hailey please!"

"I'll see you tomorrow" I mumble quietly, heading towards the library's exit.