Chapter 5 - An Unexpected Student

☆Jake☆

Mondays are by far the worst day of the week.

It's unfair that you only get two days off from school. In my opinion, it should be three or four. The school system is frying our brains.

This Monday is going to especially suck because I have to go meet up with Lia this morning. Usually, I just hang out with guys in the morning, but Lia is insisting she has to talk to me. I'm guessing it will be something really stupid. She might ask me how her new outfit or makeup looks, and I'll tell her it looks good. That's what she expects.

My mom's limo driver pulls up to the school, and I push open the door, mentally preparing myself for the day. 

I slam the door shut, and make eye contact with the driver. He smiles and waves, and as much as I want to, I act like a don't care, and turn away. He doesn't deserve this. He's always so nice to me and my family, but I'm on school grounds. I have to pretend like nothing matters.

A few people's eyes follow me as I trudge inside the school, and I pretend not to notice their looks. 

I continue down the hallway, and fistbump a few guys from the football team. I don't play football, but some of them used to be on my baseball team. I would usually stop at my locker near room 301, but I don't have time today.

I pick up the pace while keeping my body language cool, and turn the corner to find Lia's locker. 

Bingo.

She's standing in front of it, chatting with a few of the girls on the cheerleading team. They're all wearing their uniforms and most likely trash-talking unsuspecting students nearby. 

I'm guessing she purposely gathered a crowd. She's always trying to prove to people that we're in love. I can't imagine how exhausting that is for her.

I have to force my feet to walk forward, mainly because it's too early in the morning to deal with Lia and her bullcrap. I usually have the time until the third period to convince myself I want to talk to her. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury today.

Lia spots me out of the corner of her eyes, and I try my hardest to not bash my head into one of the lockers nearby. She turns to her friends and says something. They all turn to look at me, and it's clear they all know what she's about to say to me. They're all smiling, and a few of them are giggling.

I try my hardest to not roll my eyes and approach the group of girls.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask as I readjust my backpack strap.

"Will you go to the Spring Fling with me?"

I stop. Oh of course. I forgot about that. But wait, isn't that like three months from now?

"Uhh well yeah obviously" I clear my throat, and I feel my cheeks burn with colour. I am never going to get used to that feeling of being asked out by someone.

The girls all smile and giggle, looking at Lia, and waiting for her reaction.

I may not be in love with Lia, and she annoys me to no extent, but I still like her as a person, so I don't mind going to the dance with her.

What's making me uncomfortable though, is the fact that she had to ask in front of all these people. What if I had said no? Wait, no never mind. I can't do that.

Lia's cheeks flood with colour, and she bounces up and down smiling. I have to say, she's acting pretty cute right now, and I actually forget I don't want to be in this relationship for a second.