Chapter 17 - Maybe, Just Maybe

♡Hailey♡

It was late on a Sunday night when Daisy called me.

I had been sitting at my desk, dreading the idea of going back to school the next day, and scrolling through Instagram. I was worrying about having to face Jake the next day. Coming to terms with crushing on him was not a particularly fun experience.

What would I even say to him? Me being me, I would surely find a way to make things awkward. I had acted so weirdly around Adam before I told him I liked him. My friends told me that it was almost painful to watch us interact. They said it was quote "super cringe" and "so obvious".

I really hope I'm not the same way around Jake. I would be beyond embarrassed if he ever found out that considered him more than just a good friend. I'm also pretty sure his girlfriend would make my life hell. She seems to enjoy watching innocent people suffer.

Suddenly my phone vibrated, and I watched a notification pop up.

 I had gotten a text from Daisy.

Hailey! Call me rn, something really bad happened! Like seriously please call me as soon as you can!

At that moment I went into full-on panic mode. Daisy was one of the calmest people I'd ever known. If she was panicked, it practically meant that an asteroid was headed toward earth. 

I called her only a few seconds after she'd sent the message. She responded almost immediately.

"Oh my goodness, Hailey, I've been so busy lately! I'm sorry about not responding the other day, but I couldn't. It's a long story, but we seriously need to talk!"

Her words only increased my overall panic.

"Daisy, what's going on?" I said quickly, turning up the brightness so I could see her face more clearly.

She was wearing a soft blue cardigan, and her hair was up in a messy bun. She mirrored my expression. She also had a look of worry plastered on her face. 

"Well, just to give you a hint, Adam and Sabrina are involved."

I squeezed the phone tighter, and it felt harder to breathe. Of course, Adam and Sabrina would do something fucked up. They seemed to have no problem messing my life up.

"Well, what did they do?" I asked, shifting my phone so I was holding it in both hands.

"They said some...stuff about you Hails"

It was silent for a few seconds while I watched Daisy stare me in the eyes. She looked more serious than I had ever seen her before.

"Daisy! What did they say?" I cried after a few moments of silence.

"They're spreading disgusting lies and rumors about you and I don't know how to stop them!" Daisy exclaimed, burying her head in her hands.

"Daisy, please just tell me what they said"

She looked up for a moment and looked around as if checking to make sure the coast was clear.

"Adam said he broke up with you because you were... quote on quote, bad at it." 

Daisy looked around once again, but her gaze eventually returned to me. She sighed. "I know he's lying because you guys were always super PG"

This caught my attention.

"He's saying we did it?" I asked. I felt a sense of rage sweep over me, and my entire body heated up. 

Of course, he would say that. He was the one who was always asking me to do it. I told him I was saving it until I was older, but now that I'm out of his life, he clearly wanted to make his past fantasy a revenge story.