Chapter 9 - Heavenly Trouble

☆Jake☆

Lia texted me again during class. 

Her text went something like "you seemed distracted today, come over to my house to hang out"

Haha, no.

Hanging out with someone means something entirely different to Lia. It means, "Watch me do my make-up for three billion years, then make out with me"

I'd prefer to take a dive off a cliff, thank you very much. I'm not sure you've noticed, but I have zero say in this relationship.

Now, of course, Lia is right. I'm distracted. Very distracted. By what you may ask? 

Hailey.

I'm perplexed to be completely honest. I went to school today wishing it was a Saturday morning. Now I'm weirdly excited to go to school tomorrow. I haven't felt like this since the sixth-grade talent show, and let's just say the aftermath of that whole situation was not pretty.

Point is, I'm almost one hundred per cent sure I'm losing my mind. Just having short and pointless interactions with her is giving me this incredibly strange feeling of overwhelming happiness.

The other strange thing about this is that I've never felt this with anyone else. Not my family, not my friends, not Lia. None of them even come close. Yet, this random person I met a week ago is making me feel undeniably ecstatic. 

I should really consider some sort of therapy.

I saw her a few times today. The first was in homeroom. We had a brief interaction where she just talked about Pinterest and quoted a few things. The second was passing period. She was struggling to open her locker, and I thought about helping her, but Kaycee beat me to it.

I used to have a huge crush on Kaycee, and everyone knew. Henry, Liam, and Aaron especially liked to tease me about it. We had gone to the same middle school, and she'd always been kind to me, even after the talent show fiasco.

She is undeniably pretty. She has long white hair and baby-blue eyes. She's on the student council and is perfect in possibly every single way. She's only sixteen, and she's already starred in a few commercials and done some modelling gigs.

Well, I do that, but it's to make money. She does it for fun.

I watched as Kaycee walked over and introduced herself to Hailey. She readjusted her lock and managed to throw open the locker door open in just a few seconds.

I didn't really get to see what happened next, because Lia came up behind me and started baby-talking me.

 Ew. 

Please, if you're going to do that, try to do it in private. Not in the middle of a school hallway. I apologize to everyone within a fifty-foot range of us.

I saw Hailey again about thirty minutes later. She was eating an apple when a sophomore nailed her in the head with a soccer ball. Nobody seemed to notice besides her stepbrother, the sophomore, and a senior I've seen volunteering in the computer lab after school.

I thought about getting up, and walking over, but Zoey was in the middle of telling a "funny story" about how she accidentally bought four pairs of shoes instead of two. 

Hilarious.

Zoey is Lia's incredibly irritating best friend. She's rich, blonde, and a complete bitch. She treats everyone like crap, even her friends. She's especially harsh to Lia. Lia is supposed to be her best friend, but she shares all of her secrets, purposely excludes her, tells her she's ugly and calls her a bitch.