Chapter 13 - An Intention to Know

☆Jake☆

It's been about two days since I broke down in front of Hailey.

God, I'm such a mess.

To be honest, I don't even know what happened. It's like all these thoughts that have been constricted in my mind for the past year just fell out of my mouth before I could stop them. 

Now, I'm panicking. I can tell Hailey knows that I don't want to be in a relationship with Lia. I didn't state it, but it would have taken a moron to not figure it out. I don't think she knows who I'm dating, but if she were to tell anyone that I don't like my girlfriend anyone would be able to know who I'm talking about. Unfortunately, now that she knows, I'm completely screwed.

If she tells anybody, I'm dead. Especially if Lia finds out. All hell will break loose.

It's Monday morning, and I know that there are two options. Either Hailey shouts the news around the school during the first period, or blackmails me with it. I'm guessing she'll be taking the second option. She doesn't seem all that into starting drama, but I'm not sure if she'll decide to expose me or not.

I'm currently making my way to my first class. I can see people talking in the hallway and it just makes me even more nervous. I need to find Hailey. Maybe then we can talk things out. Better yet, I could pretend that what I was doing was all an act to test if she would believe me. 

Lia asked me to meet her at her locker this morning, and her text didn't seem all that friendly. She sounded upset. I'm praying that Hailey kept her mouth shut. 

I've decided to pretend I didn't get her text because I honestly can't deal with that this morning. I've been freaking out for the past two days, and I'm just not mentally prepared to walk up to Lia and try to defend myself. Not like she'd listen to me anyway.

I purposely walk faster to my locker. I don't stop even when I hear someone calling my name. It's not Lia's voice, so I keep up my pace. 

My shoes smack against the tiles, but nobody seems to notice. As I turn the corner, I stop right in my tracks.

There she is.

She looks like she's trying to reach for something on the top shelf, and I watch as a load of books falls from her locker. She's facing the opposite direction, and I watch her bend down and begin to grab each book, forming a pile.

I silently advance toward her and stop right behind her. My breath hitches, but I ignore my nerves and bend down to help her gather her books.

Our eyes meet, and she jumps back. Her eyes widen, and she topples backward, falling to the floor. She takes a second to gather herself, but once she does, she turns back to look at me.

"What are you doing here?" She whisper-yells, standing up. She repositions the books in her arms and shoves them into her locker.

I have a few of her books in my hands, so I quickly pass them to her. 

"I want to talk to you."

She looks startled, but also worried. She keeps glancing around the room. It looks like she's worried she'll be caught. By what? That's the question.

Hailey doesn't say anything and turns back to her locker. She piles the remaining books on the top shelf and slams the door shut. She shifts her attention toward me, and I get impatient.

"Why are you whispering? Can we not have a normal conversation? I want to talk to you. Alone."

My words seem to startle her, and she tightens her grip on her backpack. I can see her eyes scan the hallway, and eventually, she closes her eyes and sighs.