Chapter 8 - Bruises and Sudden Friendships

♡Hailey♡

I like to believe that one of the other hardest things to do on the first day of school is find a lunch table to sit at.

Most people are completely alone if they enter in the middle of the year, and usually struggle with trying to find a friendship group or table to sit at. I remember that at my school in Rosemeadow, the new kids would always sit alone. People would usually spend the first few weeks observing them before they would be accepted into social groups.

I can only assume it's the same here at Rosebrook High. I've observed through my past three classes that people here generally act the same as they did at Rosemedow. 

The good thing, however, is that I'm not completely alone. I have Zander.

Admittedly, he is a bit of a kill-joy, but he's still my brother and I do enjoy spending time with him. Well, the majority of the time anyway.

"In the past three hours I've witnessed countless bullies, people making out in the hallways, and drugs in the bathroom. And then my mom and Michael were like: Yes! Perfect place to send our children! They can "explore the world" by dying from smoke inhalation in the third floor boys bathroom."

I roll my eyes, and take a bite of my apple. Zander is currently ranting on about his school experience so far. We're sitting outside against the wall, eating our lunch, and so far, complaining to eachother about our day.

"Oh please" I pause to take another bite and chew throughly until I've swallowed. "I got hit on in first period, and-" I start, but Zander quickly interupts me.

"Excuse me, what?" Zander snaps, throwing his apple into the trash can beside us. 

Look what I've done. Now he's going to go find and murder that guy. What was his name? I'm pretty sure it started with an A. Allen? No.  Alex? No. It doesn't matter anyway.

I twist a strand of my hair around my finger and slowly try to come up with some sort of response that won't result in Zander committing murder.

"Some guy just called me cute and-"

"Who."

Based on his tone of voice, he sounds like he's demanding, not asking. 

"Zander, it was just some random guy. I even forgot his name."

Zander shoves his food to the side and stares at me directly in the eyes. I hate it when he does this. It's like some manipulation tactic that only works on me and not him. I know there are physiological reasons why this works on me and not him, but I'm too lazy too look it up.

"Hailey Grace Austin, did a guy hit on you. If so, give me a name and place."

I turn away from him and continue to munch on my apple. Why does he always have to be so damn overprotective? I mean, I can understand why. I do know the actual reasons why, but he never let's me get close to guys again for something to actually happen.

He keeps me away from dudes, because I think he still feels guiltily about him. Zander was the one who introduced me to him. Zander was the one who encouraged me to ask him out. Zander was the one who supported my relationship with him. Look where I am now.

Our silence is interrupted by a loud thud, and I feel myself black out.

                                                                                   ✿✿✿

"Hailey!"

I wake up to the sound of Zander screeching my name and shaking me, and I quickly jolt up, and peel my eyes open.