Chapter 30 - Flushed Honesty

♡Hailey♡

Less than thirty minutes ago, me and Jake were sitting on opposite sides of the room, awkwardly trying to avoid eye contact.

Fast forward twenty-five minutes later, I'm perched on Jake's lap, holding his face in my hands, and he's kissing me.

How the times change.

Jake's hands dig into my sides, and he kisses me gently. 

I'm positive that this is it. I've lost my mind. I'm sitting on a guy's lap in the middle of the night, in a dark classroom, kissing him with no hesitation. How did I get here? How the hell is this my life?

The other thing that bugs me, is that this whole situation is so cliché. I used to dream about crazy romantic stuff like this happening when I was,  like, thirteen. That was when I fisrt started reading romance novels. 

Reading books where the main guy is perfect is almost every way, definitely raised my standards, and so far the only personality type I can find myself attracted to is cocky bastard. It does make sense though. I would always gush at the overconfident, jock in any story I read. It only makes sense that given the opportunity to kiss one, I wouldn't think twice and go for it.

And what really shocked me, and that he was the one who initiated this whole interaction. Sure, I was the one that decided "screw this" and jumped on top of him, but it's not like he's resisting in any way. In fact, it's quite the opposite. 

He's the one that keeps leaning forward, each time we pause to take a breath, and he slides one of his hands up to my lower back, pulling me impossibly closer. I turn his face, slightly, to kiss him deeper, and he doesn't object. My heart is beating so fast I feel like I may pass out. 

I keep expecting him to pull back and stare at me like I'm crazy, but he's not. He's been acting so weird all night. First, he followed me to the water fountain, next he confessed to thinking about me often, he started staring at my lips multiple times, and he's now enthusiastically making out with me. 

What. Is. Happening.

Why is he doing this? Is he kissing me back because he feels like he has to? It definitely doesn't feel like he's just doing this for show, though. It feels much more intimate than that, but who knows what he's thinking right now. Lia is not going to be happy when she finds out about this.

Lia. Oh crap, I forgot about her. 

I instantly pull back, and Jake stares at me in surprise.

"Oh no no no no no no, what have I done?" I say outwardly, covering my face in absolute shame. I'm a stuttering, flushed mess as I try to say something, anything that would justify what I've just done, but I can't come up with anything.

I peek through my fingers, and Jake's still staring. He quirks an eyebrow at me, but he doesn't look upset or angry. His facial expression is a mix between confusion and assuredness.

"Calm down, sweetheart. Why are you panicking?" He asks in a low, calm tone. His hands are still on my waist.

"Why am I panicking!?" I almost shout it. "Jake, if you haven't noticed, I just kissed you."

Jake rolls his eyes and says, "Yeah Hailey, I definitely didn't notice you fucking straddling me."

"And you," I pause for emphasis. "You kissed me back."

"Wow, I definitely didn't realize that either." He deadpans. "Had no idea that I was making out with you. Thanks for clearing up that little misconception."

I scoff at him, and cross my arms, leaning back so that we're not as close. Jake drops his hands from my body, but I'm still sitting on his lap because neither one of us seems to care that it's happening.