Chapter 15 - A Terrifying Realization

♡Hailey♡

I got my job working at the bookstore for two reasons. One, because I needed the money. I'm saving up for college and a nice car, so money is definitely helpful.

Two, I love books. I've always loved reading and writing, and when I found out that you can read whatever books you want during your lunch breaks, I immediately applied.

Now instead of eating lunch during my breaks, I read books I couldn't have afforded otherwise. The rule, however, is that if you damage the books in any way, you have to pay for a new copy. Therefore, I'm always careful.

I've been working for a few months, and the manager, Ruth, loves me. She's always talking to me or inviting me out to tea with her. She's an older woman who's been divorced and has three kids who don't talk to her. She vents to me sometimes, but I don't mind.

She's such a sweet person, and I honestly can't understand how anybody could dislike her. She wears sweaters and socks she's knitted herself, and I have a collection of things she's given me. 

She's almost like a grandmother to me. I don't have a real grandma, because both of my parents, parents died before I was even born. 

Ruth will sometimes even let me take books home if I promise to keep them in good shape. She says she's never met someone like me and was ecstatic when I told her I would be working at "BookHaven" for the next year and a half.

I work more than the majority of the staff, but Ruth always insists I take more time off. I refuse each time telling her I'm happy working at the store. I'm not lying, it's one of my favorite places besides the dandelion field.

The store is quite large, but not too popular. There's usually only one or two employees on duty at a time. Besides, assistants aren't needed for much besides checking out and finding books.

It was a Saturday night, and Ruth had gone home. I was the only one working that night. The store was currently empty, and the only notable sound was the ticking of the clock.

I was reading "Let Me List the Ways" as I sat back and drank a small cup of tea that Ruth left for me each shift she left me alone. She said she felt bad for abandoning me, but I always assured her it was fine, and that she should go home and enjoy her night.

It was fully dark out, and the shop was illuminated by a dim lamp near the front. I couldn't see the shelves that were farther than 

The small bell to the shop jingled, and I kept my eyes glued on the book. People usually didn't buy anything, and I didn't see any point in doing my whole sales employee act right about now. If they needed help they could walk up to me.

A small tinge of annoyance appeared when I heard the footsteps grow closer to me, and I mentally prepared myself to have a conversation with the stranger. I'm a hardcore introvert, and I'm not used to talking to people after 9:00pm.

The footsteps stopped right in front of me, and I grabbed my mug of tea, taking a sip. I tore my eyes from my book and nearly spit out my drink.

"Hi" he said quietly.

I fixed my position, and put down my book, leaning forward in my chair.

"What do you want? Are you following me?" I asked, running my hand against the edge of the cup. I felt tense.

Jake rolled his eyes.

"No. I didn't even know you were going to be here." His eyes found their way to my sales employees name-tag, and his eyes widened. "You work here?"

"No, I'm just impersonating a sales employee for fun. It's a lovely way to spend a Saturday night." I replied sarcastically, crossing my arms across my chest. "What do you want"