Chapter 18 - "Meet Me at The Front"

☆Jake☆

Fun fact, hiding that you have a crush on someone isn't easy.

Especially when your best friend tells you that they're going to meet up with them privately after school.

"You what?" I snap, turning to look at Luke.

"She asked me to meet her by the benches outside at 3:30"

I have to physically restrain myself from snapping my pencil in half.

"Why? What did she say?" I ask sourly, leaning back in my chair.

Poor Luke, he doesn't know what's going on. He probably just thinks she's cute and wants to go make out with her or something. It's weird to imagine Luke doing anything romantic these days though. Pretty sure he hasn't liked anyone since eighth grade. I've never even seen him make a move on anybody before.

"She just said that she wanted to talk to me about Lia. I'm not too surprised because, well, we have both heard Lia's never-ending complaining about Hailey. I'm pretty sure Lia's just been bugging her again, and she wants to meet up to tell me to tell Lia to leave her alone."

"Are you sure it's not because she wants to lock lips with you" I mutter sarcastically under my breath.

"What?" Luke says. "I didn't hear you"

Thankfully, the bell for last period rings and students begin packing up and dashing out of the classroom.

"Nothing. You should just go meet her now." 

Dammit. Why am I acting like this? Luke is definitely going to suspect something if I keep this act up.

Luke grabs his bag from the floor, and throws it over his shoulder, giving me an uncertain look.

"Are you okay? You sound kinda angry" Luke states, pausing to look at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine just...tired" I reply, turning away from him. I'm scared to meet his eyes. He's always had a knack for telling if someone is being honest, especially when it comes to me.

"Okay well um...I'll see you tomorrow then," Luke says, turning from me and walking in the opposite direction.

I groan, and bang my head on the table, letting it rest there. Why am I acting so moody? I really need to shut up and mind my own business.

The classroom is now empty, and I move my head to look at the clock. I notice Mrs. Lysel watching me from her desk. I sit up straighter and make awkward eye contact with her for a few seconds until she clears her throat and opens her mouth to speak.

"Jake, I'm glad you're still here. I wanted to talk with you about something."

I let out an irritated sigh. Why now of all times? I just want to go home and mope while watching reruns of "To Catch a Predator". My older brother, Jeremy, was watching it when I got home a couple of days ago, and I've been binge-watching it ever since.

It usually makes me want to throw up after a few episodes, but it's crazy addictive. Chris Hasen is cool.

"Uh-huh, and what's that?" I mumble.

Mrs. Lysel raises an eyebrow, and crosses her hands, placing them gently on her desk.

"Erm...are you alright Jake?" She asks softly.

"Yeah, just peachy"

"Answer honestly Jake. If you want to talk to the school counselor I can let her know."

I snort. "The school counselor? Yeah, I'm just dying to speak to a sappy, forty-year-old woman about my daddy issues and shit- I mean, horrible dating life."