Chapter 12 - An Abrupt Confession

♡Hailey♡

Today is a Saturday.

Every Saturday since we've moved to L.A. has been filled with unpacking, arguments, and a lot of listening to music. Today, however, is different.

Zander invited Luke over to hang out with him today. This is the first time anybody has been to our house since we moved.

 He's been frantically rushing around the house, fixing his hair, and checking every room to make sure it's clean. I haven't seen him this panicked since our parents announced we were moving. 

I'm not really planning on interacting with Luke while he's here. Don't get me wrong, I like him, he's nice, I'm just busy. I have to finish all my homework, and still make it on time for a Miraculous Ladybug episode premiere.

I also want to give Zander some alone time with Luke. Zander has always struggled with making friends, and now that he's seemed to accomplish just that, I want to give him time alone with his friend.

I used to get irritated when Zander would walk in and start trying to shove himself into a conversation me and Daisy were having. Daisy never really minded, but Daisy is an angel sent from the heavens above by god himself. 

I don't want to irritated him, so I've decided I'm going to stay away from him and Luke for the next few hours. 

I'm currently standing in the kitchen, drinks a small strawberry smoothie. I continue to scroll through TikTok to see if there's any art or clothing hacks I should try. I get a video with a girl petting her dog instead. I double click. That dog is cute.

The doorbell rings, and I jump. I'm not used to visitors. I hear Zander scurry down the hallway, and roll my eyes, shoving my phone in my pocket. I continue to slurp the smoothie, as I listen to the sound of Zander unlocking the door.

I snicker to myself. It will be fun listening to him awkwardly greet Luke. He's never been the welcoming type.

I hear the door creak open, and Luke's voice greets Zander. I can just imagine Zander right now. Fidgeting with his fingers, and flushed red face.

Then suddenly, I hear another voice accompany the two.

It's very familiar, and I feel like I should be panicking right now, but I honestly can't remember who the voice belongs to.

The voice greets Zander, and his response is to ask. "Who the hell are you?".

This is comedy TV at this point, so I continue to listen from the kitchen, drinking my smoothie. Thank god my parents aren't home. This is perfection.

"Zander, this is my friend. Meet Jake."

I simultaneously drop the cup on the floor, and begin choking. Great job Hailey.

After a few seconds I manage to stop dying, and drop to the floor, picking up the spilled cup.

"What was that?" Luke asks.

I sigh, and grab a large wad of paper towels. I begin cleaning the floor.

Zander sounds like he's almost laughing. "I'm guessing that's Hailey. She chokes on air sometimes."

I roll my eyes, and stand up. There was only a small portion of the smoothie left, so the paper towels absorb the majority of the leftover strawberry soup. I throw the soggy mess into the trash can and let it slam shut.

"Thank you for asking if I'm okay Zander."  I yell back, ignoring the slippery floor. I hide behind one of the counter tops and pray that Zander just walks by the kitchen.