Chapter 3 -412

☆Jake☆

I push open the front door and immediately hear crying, which I assume can only be Lucy. I also hear my mom trying to comfort her. I figure she must have stubbed her toe or something. 

I brush my hair out of my eyes, throw my jacket on the floor, and toe-off my shoes. I know mom will have to pick it up later, and I feel bad, but I pretend not to care. I've gotten good at acting like I'm chill about almost any situation. 

I pop in my earbuds and turn the volume up, desperately trying to avoid a conversation with anyone in the house about where I've been, and what I've been doing. My mom always seems to assume I've been selling drugs if I leave the house for more than an hour. It's like a seventeen-year-old can't possibly leave their home without getting in trouble.

What was I doing? I wasn't selling drugs, partying, or talking to girls. I was hanging out with Luke, my best friend since Freshman year. We met in chemistry, and both simultaneously agreed that it's not only useless but also infuriating.

He invited me over on Thursday, and I knew my mom would make a big deal out of it, so I snuck out. I doubt she noticed anyway. She's got four other kids to worry about, and I usually don't leave my room all day except for dinner.

The hang-out with Luke was cool, but I'm not thinking about that. I'm thinking about what happened after that.

I had been walking home when the rain really started pouring down. Of course, I get stuck outside the one time it decides to rain, but I guess that's just my luck.

I ran to get home when I suddenly noticed someone a few yards in front of me. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but as I got closer, I realized it wasn't.

It was a girl. She had stopped in her tracks, and she looked completely soaked. Her arms were wrapped around herself, and she brushed her hair from her eyes.

I had scared her by saying hi, and we had a conversation. The weird thing is, it wasn't forced at all.

I'm so used to talking to people because it will benefit me, or because people expect me to. I don't feel that sense of ease talking to many people. Somehow, our five-minute conversation felt more comforting than anything my own friends or girlfriend have said to me.

She was sarcastic and snapped at me, but I can't blame her. She had been crying when I snuck up behind her, and I can't blame her for being a bit irritated at my interruption.

The weird thing is, I desperately want to talk to her again. When I talked to her I felt no judgment. Sure, she looked at me like I was an idiot, but I kinda was acting like one. It's not often that I get to let down my guard, and it was refreshing.

The thing is, I know that I will most likely never see her again. Our chances of meeting were very slim in the first place, and considering the fact that she was walking on the dirt road means she lives pretty far from me. I've also never seen her at my school before.

The chances of running into her again are small, and for some reason, this upsets me.

I mentally remind myself that I literally met this chick about an hour ago, and I really shouldn't care whether or not we ever lock eyes again.

I quietly sneak up the stairs, making sure to skip the third step. It's given my appearance away one too many times.

Once I successfully complete my lousy mission, I turn and tiptoe down the hallway to my room. The door is still closed, just as I left it, and I breathe a sigh of relief. My mom would definitely be mad if she knew I left the house without her permission.