Chapter 7- An Untrustworthy Beginning

☆Jake☆

If there's one thing I know about Aaron it's that he doesn't take no for an answer. He doesn't know how to respond to someone shooting him down because the majority of the time he's the one shooting someone down. He's not used to people rejecting him. He lashes out.

But of course, he has to walk up to Hailey and ask her out within the first thirty seconds of their meeting. I mean, what was he expecting? To not be rejected because he happens to have abs and a good facial structure? I wouldn't be surprised. He has a huge ego.

Of course, when I watched Aaron approach her, I knew I was about to watch things go down. Based on the way she acted on Saturday, I wasn't surprised that she shot him down immediately.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone rejected him within the first thirty seconds of their meeting. You would have to be insane to accept his invitation to voluntarily hang out with him. I may be in the same friendship group as him, but I do not like him. He's a major asshole.

I felt bad just sitting there, watching Aaron be a douche to her. I don't know what he's on, but news flash: insulting someone you want to date doesn't make them like you. It makes them want to throw a punch at your face.

Therefore, I stood up and walked over, joining the conversation I so desperately wish wasn't happening.

"Don't talk to her like that"

Both Hailey and Aaron spin to face me, and as soon as Hailey meets my eyes, I can see panic spread across her features.

Aaron looks pissed, and rolls his eyes, as he throws me a dirty look.

The hate between us is mutual.

"Mind your business. This has nothing to do with you." Aaron hisses.

Hailey remains silent. Staring up at me, almost in disbelief, with her lips parted and eyes shining. 

I sigh. What have I gotten myself into? Why couldn't this just be like any other Monday morning?

"She said she's not interested. Are you really that desperate?"

Anger flashes in his eyes, and for a second, I'm convinced he's about to throw a punch my way. However, just as he raises his fists, he glances behind me for a second, and I can see he hesitates. Slowly, he lowers his hands and shoves them into his pocket.

He turns away, and gives me one last sour look, before heading for the door, and pretending to go to the library. He does that a lot to get out of class.

Once he's officially left the room, I turn back to Hailey. 

She's still staring at me. She's wearing the same expression. 

I'm honestly still in a bit of shock. I just stare back at her. I'm not sure what else to do or say. How am I supposed to approach this situation? Do I say hi? Do I crack a joke? Do I pretend I don't know her? Do I walk away?

"I'm sorry, but are you who I think you are?" Hailey asks quietly.

I'm torn. I could escape this whole situation by simply pretending I have no clue who she is. I could end this conversation, and then I'd never have to talk to her again. For some strange reason, this thought upsets me.

"Yeah"

It's not like I've been obsessing over that moment for the past two days. I totally haven't been replaying that moment in my head, and obsessing over the fact that I'd never see that girl again. 

Hailey completely shifts her body towards me as she grabs a pencil and begins fidgeting with it. She looks nervous and quite startled at my appearance. She eyes me up and down, acting as if her staring will make this whole situation more bearable.