chap.40

Why is waking up in the morning so damn hard! My throat is dry and my nose feels blocked and dry! Yhoo Ghod!!! I close my eyes again, taking slow breaths because I know that all it takes is one cough and I'll have a nose bleed.

The door opened and I opened my one eye. "Bhuti" my voice is so crusty. I sit upright as he sits on my bed. "Unjani? (How are you?)" I keep quiet for a bit, trying to understand how I do feel. I end up shrugging my shoulders.

"I can't work with a shoulder shrug. Should I call Dr Murphy?"
I immediately shake my head. "I'm okay bhuti. I just can't put it in words. But I'm fine." I nod. "I hope for your sake that you are. Get ready, we have a lot to do today." He stands up and walks out. I get up to fix my bed and then get to the shower.

I decide in the last minutes that I want to take a bath instead. I walk to the bathroom cabinet and take two strawberry bath bombs out. I throw them in the water and get inside. I watch the bombs fizz out as I sink deeper into the water.

******************

I am now on the way to my hair appointment with all my brothers. Apparently the whole family will be attending this gala so we need to get fixed up. I'm glad because I've had my braids in for about a month and a half. The hair salon is an hour away from home, in Sandton.

Mamncane Sna opened her salon a couple of years ago when she 'was bored'. She had just given birth and was not allowed to do any work so she began braiding people's hair and that blossomed into Afiquè hair. When we arrived, we were taken to our designated seats and offered snacks.

Nathi and I would go first, followed by the twins then Sandile and Simphiwe and lastly, Ntsika. I had to get my braids undone, my hair deeply washed and detangled. By the time I was finished, Sibonga was getting his hair done, Konke had already finished and Nathi was done already.

I had my hair done in a bun but Mamncane Sna was going to come home at 4 pm to help me get ready. When we left the salon, my brother's were looking dapper and sharp. We went to a doughnut shop and bought mini doughnuts. We sat in the minivan to snack on our lunch before driving off to the tailor where we would fetch our clothes.

Ntsika and Simphiwe were the only ones to leave the car when we got to Taylor's boutique. They came back within 45 minutes, holding 7 boxes, suit covers and smaller bags filled with our jewelry.

By the time we got home, there was no time to sleep so I just went up to my room to get naked and take a nap, irregardless of what everyone said. I would just take a 30 minute power nap.

Unfortunately 30 minutes turned in to one hour and I woke up to a sore thigh. "Vuja wena Satan! How dare you mess up the hair I worked so hard to fix!" Mamncane Sna shouted at me. I couldn't even complain because I was laughing. "Ncane uthi nguSatane Mina manje? (Aunty you're calling me Satan now?)" I pulled the light throw over my body.

"Ufihlani sisi? (What are you hiding?)What you have is what I have. Yours is just younger and virgin. " She shrugs at the look of horror on my face. "Ncane! (Aunty!)" She rolls her eyes. "Go take a five minute shower. You look like the undead." I get off bed, wondering how this woman has a whole family, matter of fact, how the hell she got such a serious husband when she's nothing close to serious.

Following her instruction, I take a five minute shower. When I get out, I have my dress on the bed, still covered in the suit cover. Right besides the dress is a box of shoes and a smaller one ontop with a LV bag on the side.

Instead of applying my normal body lotion, I grab my vanilla and coconut scented body oil. I make sure to massage it into my skin. I wear my lace undergarments and my gown. I wear my slippers and walk downstairs.