Chapter 40: Something Rotten This Way Comes Part 1

It was the next day. everyone was on high alert. To all our shock, angor rot got the horngazel. trollmarket was no longer safe. I turned to jim, who had been standing in front of a worried and saddened Claire as Vendel's voice was heard, scolding them for letting Angor get a hold of the only protected wall of Trollmarket.

"She allowed Angor Rot to obtain a Horngazel. The very key past Trollmarket's defences!" The teens watched in silence, regret and nervousness written on their features while Vendel's voice grew louder with every word.

"It's not Claire's fault, it's mine. I should have gone to the school for the incantation. I should've faced Angor Rot. Not them." He gestured to Claire but the girl quickly defended him as well. "It was in my purse. Toby and I were dangling off the roof. He cut it off and left." She rubbed her arm, facing away from Vendel's harsh gaze.

"It was a great everyday purse. It went with everything." Toby added, placing a hand on Claire's shoulder as he tried top comfort her.

"We might have time. Angor Rot rarely attacks during the day... Jim started but Vendel had cut him off.

"Angor Rot is unpredictable at best. And if there isn't anything to stop him from creating havoc in Trollmarket... then you have just put more than yourselves at risk." The teens flinched as he spat out his words, right before they were alerted to the echoing cries of Strickler.

"Trollhunter! Help!" strickler shouted. 

We quickly ran out to see, Strickler had been dangling upside down in a Troll's grasp, Blinky and Aaarrrgghh guarding the only exit to Trollmarket. Aaarrrgghh's eyes were narrowed, his fists planted in the ground as he stood in their way.

"Out of the way, Aaarrrgghh!!!" one troll shouted, but Aaarrrgghh's fists slammed against the stone as Blinky readied his fists. "No," he growled.

"Let us discuss this matter like reasonable trolls!" Blinky started, running in front of them, only for a stone to collide with his forehead. "Ruffians! Who threw that?"  Blinky yelled out as the crowd gathered, their murmurs growing louder.

"Where's Jim? He gave me his word!" Strickler said desperately, his question being answered when Jim's voice was heard off to the side, the words being spoken with hardness.

"Put him down! He helped save my mother. He's... with me. Jim said, stepping in front of his troll friends, Claire and Toby joining him.

"He tried to release Gunmar!" 

"Get him out of here!" 

"Changelings ain't right in Trollmarket!" Bagdwella added, pushing through the crowd and stepping up to them.

"It's not going to make a difference. Angor Rot wants me to, and the protective barrier won't stop him." Jim defended, the trolls turning to look at one another, trying to understand what Jim had meant. Blinky spoke for them, stepping up.

"Ah, what do you mean?" blinky asked as Jim scratched the back of his head. "He has a Horngazel."

Chaos immediately began at the news, Jim closing his eyes and tensing as objects rained down on him. He turned, ready to please the trolls despite the terrible news.

"Look, you have the right to know!" he tried to say but the trolls only grew angrier. Female Troll Let's throw them both out!

"It's time the amulet calls for another!" a voice shouted. The crowd raged, fists in the air as tension rose. A troll had stepped up, grabbing Jim and holding him just like they had done with Strickler. They stomped to the stairs as his friends grew defensive.